Reply to
Jonno

I do not own a selfie stick

Reply to
ARW

I haven't found one. Yet.

Reply to
David Lang

What you really need is something with a built-in lightning conductor:

Nightjar

Agreed. I've got a 1977 Nikon F2 and I've no plans to change it. At least half the enjoyment is fumbling around with things like shutter speed, aperture, depth of field and focus AFAIC.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

To me, the perfect gift would be a digital pack to fit onto my Olympus OM-2 to replace the 35mm film.

Reply to
Davey

Film! As yes, I remember that. Fumble about loading, winding on, send to chemist, wait a week, get 4 out of 36 useless, stick them in albums.

I'm ging to miss that. Not.

The Coolpix comes with a small internal memory so I decided to buy and SD card. Me, being me, I went for the biggest one the shop had. It holds around 8,000 photo's!

Reply to
David Lang
[21 lines snipped]

Big mistake when it goes wrong and loses all the photos from that "holiday of a lifetime".

Reply to
Huge

Davey wrote in news:mp2qe1$3af$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I used to think the same - after acquiring lenses for an SLR. Sensor size was th eissue back then.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If it has wifi you can auto upload to your PC. Must admit I haven't bothered

Reply to
stuart noble

My wife's will tell you if the subject blinked while taking the photo. Just imagine what a camera with loads of processing power could do. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Some of the new features are very useful.. I like the remote viewfinder on my phone.. you can do things like putting the camera on a monopod and holding it up in the air so you can avoid chopping the head of your pet giraffe.

Reply to
dennis

Yup, hence the desire for a digital pack to replace it.

Reply to
Davey

You just copy them to your phone so you have two or more copies.

Reply to
dennis

I have a hankering for a similar 'upgrade' for my venerable Chinon CX SLR. The only downside being its use of the Pentax M42 lens adapter mount rather than the later, more popular, bayonet style mount.

TBH, I'm disappointed that no enterprising company has come up with a digital 'film back' adapter kit to revitalise pretty well just about every film SLR camera that's ever existed.

Triggering an 'exposure event' could easily be achieved by using an integrated microphone to detect the 'sonic signature' of whatever film SLR you cared to name (perhaps even implemented by using a 'training algorithm' - even very very quiet models such as that Olympus OM-2 will still produce enough sound level to act as a trigger - the mic *will* be internal so should get a clear enough sonic signature even with the quietest of cameras).

I guess we'll have to wait for full frame sensors to become sufficiently commonplace with the most expensive of DSLRs before they're likely to be commoditised sufficiently to make it an economically viable proposition.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Why would anyone bother?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Like he said. I do recall a startup company about a decade ago proposing to do this, but unsurprisingly the idea went nowhere - indeed there's an article on it over on dpreview:-

or, if that wraps,...

airsmoothed

There was one a long time ago, it didn't sell very well. The electronics were in the "cassette" and the sensor in the film "tongue".

Why?, you get light on the sensor when the shutter opens and you use that as the trigger.

The biggest problem is that old style lenses aren't very good compared to modern digital ones. Even something like a four thirds digital will exceed what an old film SLR and lens can achieve.

Reply to
dennis

Quote>>

The lack of battery space, the need to open the camera to change ISO, White Balance or any other image setting,

Reply to
dennis

Well, you don't have to use all of the space.

For things like holidays where we don't want to lose all the photos and might not be able to copy them we take multiple memory cards, rotate them when we remember, and keep the others away from the camera in a different bag.

Keep meaning to get a doubri so they can be copied to a phones SD card

Reply to
Chris French