"I don't know" is not an answer

and taking jobsd off of peole willing to do them for a price, which is what= annoys me, is it actually any cheaper than getting 'proper people' to do t= hese jobs ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

yeah sack the street cleaners it's not as though they need the money for living or anything as I assume they do it for fun.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Why? There are far more streets that they ever clean. There's plenty of work for benefit claimants. Heck, if they do a good job, pay them the same as the street cleaners.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well the obvious answer to that is that they deserve sacking as the streets need cleaning. If they were doing their paid job properly there wouldn't be overflowing bins, broken glass and litter blowing about.

And by "streets" I mean *all* public highways.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Street cleaners don't get free food, lodgings, and transport to and from th= eir jobs, if they did yeah sure why not pay anyone the same rate of pay as = they do. But I'm still not convinced that the prison work force is a good idea when = there's so many unimployed.

=20

Reply to
whisky-dave

Country lanes could be a good place. The amount of rubbish that doesn't degrade like coke bottles ,food wrappings etc is phenomenal if you get up close to a hedge or verge. you don't really notice it when passing in a vehicle. Where I live the village has a clean up each spring and other places do the same. In about 1/2 mile of apparently green country lane I collected 5 rubbish sacks of waste almost all of it plastic both fragments and whole items. Harder for the really workshy to escape as well if they are miles out of town. Mini bus out ,Mini bus home and if you haven't thought about packing lunch and a flask then you'll go hungry with no convenience store to spend on overpriced snack food and expensive fizzy pop or cheap lager.

Trouble with such a scheme is to make sure that for the many who are not naturally workshy but for various reasons end up on the dole and give up, is to not make it look like a punishment for being on the dole. That just humilates people. You would need to make them feel they are actually doing a useful exercise. You might have to move the really workshy onto something like a chain gang later.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Who mentioned prisoners? We are talking about those on benefits that would otherwise be sat home in front of the telly doing SFA.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed, that's why I sadi *all* public highways in and earlier post. And I do include the central reservations of motorways in that as well. I

*might* let them close lane 3 in each direction for that though B-)

You forgot drinks cans.

Aye.

Froma central pick up point that they have to get to under their own steam/cost by say 0900 dropped back at 1700, just like being a "worker".

More fool them. Put it in the introductory notes so they can't use the "I wasn't told" excuse.

Drinking "on duty" would be against the rules and lead to removal of benefits.

I think the "poverty trap" gets a lot of people, rather than "giving up". This either because the wages of the low paid are too low or the benefits for doing SFA are to high. It's not an easy one to solve.

I've having a good year this year, I would not be surprised that by the time the tax credits etc have been hacked back to be no better off at all, despite having done several weeks extra work. Why should I bother?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If they are doing something that would not get done otherwise, it's OK. Of course, there is a fine line between that and cutting back on work, then reallocating it to the doleys.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Each and every individual street cleaner might be working solidly all day, every day, yet still there would be far too much rubbish for them to clear up satisfactorily. At the level of the individual street cleaner, other than turning up and doing what they are told diligently there is little they can do to improve the situation.

Blame the people who in their various ways produce the rubbish, those who only deploy a fraction of the required street cleaners, the wind if you want - but I never seem to see a street cleaner doing anything but working.

Reply to
polygonum

I certainly wouldn't blame councils for not employing more cleaners, the la= st thing I want is to pay even more taxes.

People who put rubbish there are 99% to blame. But a lot of the street rubb= ish could miss the streets entirely if more public bins were installed. And= neighbourhoods would improve if people were a bit more minded to help a li= ttle with cleanup and prevention.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I am with you on this one.

My digs in London costs me £20 a night. It's local to where I am working and the £20 gets me a clean bed and shared bathrooms. You have to supply your own toilet roll/soap/breakfast etc.

But as I am at work and not on holiday it does not matter.

I prefer to crash on site with a sleeping bag and air bed.

Reply to
ARW

I agree - stop it before it hits the streets.

Wasn't really blaming the councils for not taking more tax to pay more cleaners - rather deflecting the criticism from a group of people who seem to me to work pretty hard and suggesting that other people be considered as targets.

Reply to
polygonum

Quite - although IIRC bins were removed from many public places since they are a good place to hide a bomb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But it doesn't explain how they don't get squished by cars ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

More to the point is that they are awkward and unpleasant places to have to check before declaring an area 'all clear'

Railways now use clear bin-bags so the contents can be seen without emptying.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In my experience the people they employ at Wetherspoons are the rejects from the "do you want fries with that" establishments. The company do seem to have some strange ideas about customer service. 30 people can be waiting for service at the bar and there are 4 staff behind the bar, BUT

3 are on cleaning duty and cannot serve. Or, the one bar staff goes away for 10 minutes to make coffee for a customer while the kitchen staff are regularly supplying coffee to customers that have ordered food rather than drink. The bar has run out of cask ale during the early evening but the only person who can change the cask is the cellarman who is on the day shift. There seems to be a demarcation in staff tasks with no flexibility during busy times.
Reply to
alan

I knew one who did..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This was the one on Victoria Station. Packed to the rafters right through the day but, I have to say, very well organised, clean toilets (despite being the only free ones on the station). Burger and a beer very pleasant too.

Reply to
stuart noble

I was going to mention the French solution for litter bins. which is the same. They also often have a clear bag for general waste and a transparent green one for recyclables hanging on the same frame.

Reply to
John Williamson