I can't access any threads on this site!

Is it just me or is there a general problem? Not sure I'll be able to see any responses to this message though!!!!!

Reply to
kent

Depends what you think "this site" actually is ...

uk.d-i-y is a usenet group, google and other web sites act as http front-ends, but do a varyingly crap job of it, you might want to install a proper newsreader and access it via a newsserver

Andy Burns

All good here. (Eternal September / Opera)

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Seems to be a problem (again) with Google.

Reply to
harryagain

Its not a site its a newsgroup. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

glitch, Google Groups has been fine to use, and has other advantages that I have discussed over the years.

Now Google have decided that I will have to start using their new interface. But that does not work on my operating system, while almost everything else that I do on the Net works just fine.

The new system says "The new Google Groups interface is not supported in your web browser" When I revert to the old system Google invites me to say why I am reverting, so I type out a message and send it. I then get this message "Sorry, we weren't able to submit your information. Please try again."

So I guess this is the end of my Usenet experience. Goodbye all! I'm now mostly using blogs anyway.

Reply to
Matty F

Do go! Yours are some of the most interesting and inspiring posts here! Seriously, what's the big deal with using a proper newsreader?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Please don't go. I enjoy too much seeing your projects - despite them making me feel even more inadequate than usual.

If you are determined to stick with Windows 98 have you tried Firefox v2 which allegedly is supported by the new GG interface?

Reply to
Robin

+1

eek!

apparently he has

Can't say I'd expect it to be supported ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That'll teach me to rely on memory. I thought it was Opera.

I'm off again with the pointy hat to the corner.

FWIW they claim to support anything from Firefox 1.5, IE6 etc provided cookies are enabled -

Robin

that requires Firefox 3.6 or newer, so I'd expect similar if not even newer browser.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thank you. I'm not intending to stick with Windows 98. I have a new computer here that will run Linux, when I have time to get that all going. Google may pull the plug on my software at any moment now.

Right this moment I am about to fix some weatherboards on my house. As at today 1 March this is now illegal in NZ unless I somehow become a licensed builder. This is a new law passed because of the hundreds of thousands of leaky houses that have been built by professional builders, who will undoubtedly now become licensed. Many of those builders liquidated their companies so they did not have to compensate the building owners for their shoddy work, and have simply started up new companies.

Reply to
Matty F

Puppy Linux works brilliantly on anything that is capable of running win98 and it comes with full USB and wpa wireless support.

-
Reply to
Mark

Yesterday, following reports that GGs wasn't working, I couldn't resist having a look myself. It was OK in OE8 and my normal browser, Firefox (3.6-ish, I think). However, with a rarely-used three year old version of Safari, it was showing only the threads and the names of the posters

- but none of the posts. Installing the latest version of Safari made it work normally.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Me too, stopped working a couple of days ago on Google groups using Internet Explorer. It works with Google Chrome, which is how I posted.

Reply to
Onetap

I finally realised it was a google problem and have now got in using firefox. Google worked fine two days ago!!!

Thanks to those who gave helpful suggestions.

Reply to
kent

Ditto.

Reply to