I am deserving of a medal (maybe)

Then I'd guess you haven't much experience of dimmer/bulb combinations. Or read and remember posts on here. Certain types of bulbs can short circuit when failing and trip an MCB. If a dimmer is in that circuit, it may well damage that, before an MCB can react.

You are an electronics tech and didn't realise that early mains LEDs couldn't be dimmed using some older dimmers? Again, well documented here.

If you wish to dim common mains LEDs, they need to be marked as dimmable and the dimmer should be a trailing edge type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that an advert. The dimmers I have are encapuslated no chance of anyone reapiring them, tha t's teh way they are made now. Only an idiay would even attempt it, you can ;t even buy the parts for teh majoroty of dimmer sold today. But a 20+ year old dimmer yeah easy to fix but hardly worth the bother.

Yep easy.

No proof those , where was this track in your imagination.

I've repairs and old dimmer too but the news ones are differnt.

Yes it does for me anyway.

No I don't include that in DIY.

Can you show me a link to this dimmer, I paid about £25 quid for one o f mine and about £40 for another one which included a remote control d oes your dimmer have a remote control mine did in 1986.

I don;t have such a setup the avaerage home users doesn't.

The dimmers I brought and installed myself which is the point isn't it for DIY.

It's not possible for anyone to repair the majority of dimmers of today.

Reply to
whisky-dave

None. Not minimal as you stated. Above.

Oh - they don't even broadcast true HD, as devised.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yours might be. I've no idea what crap you've found. But not all are 'encapsulated'. Indeed, I've never seen one that is. Not that I'm familiar with everything on the market today. Since I can repair rather than replace. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never had such a thing happen since I tried to DIM LEDs with a standar d dimmer.

I've landed the space shuttle though.

I don;t have a MCB to trip.

so how does repairing the dimmer fix that problem wouldn;t you be better of f buying the correct dimmer in the first place by reading ads and reviews.

I rarely see the point of doing what the instructions tell me isn't possibl e or advisable.

Early LEDs from 2007 you mean just how early are these LEDs and they were b lue so they must have been made after 1979. (£30 each then IIRC)

were they mains LEDS, they weren;t as far as I knew.

Yes I know but I wanted to know what happened if I used my standard dimmer on the new set of lights I put up. Now rather than listening to you or anyo ne else I have my own experinece of what happens they flicker for a few sec onds then go out never to come on again. But this is NOT to do with the LED s themselves as I've done that in the lab many times it's even part of the skills lab I help to run.

Thre's a lab running on friday, the academic ask me if we have any lemons a s he wants to prove LEDs can be lit by lemons. Maybe he doesn;t know that t his isnt common stock for an electronics lab so he;s offered to bring some in I said fun, I then joked we could then ask the students how many lemons to power a raspberry pi. A play on words and electronics, and an excercise in understanding currants ;-) and amounts etc...

My boss has just asked me why our academic is bringing in 100 lemons on fri day !

There's no way I want studetns cutting up lemons in the lab, it was meant t o be a brain excercise NOT a fruit cutting marathon !

Reply to
whisky-dave

They are just not to the public yet trails are taking place. netflix has psudoe HD or upscaled. Which is why I wasn't fooled into buy a 4k TV now.

true enough for the average TV viewer that can tell teh differnce between SD and HD, which is why I went HD.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So show me a picture of such a device. NOT from a muesum but one you can purchase today in the real world.

I had some gas laterns in the loft I threw out years ago didn't think them worth repairing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Good grief. Isn't it about time you had your wiring brought up to date?

Since you claim to be an electronics tech, you'll be familiar with the phrase 'a semiconductor generally protects the fuse feeding it'

If not, get one of your students to explain it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Netflix doesn't broadcast TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea, it passed the last meter readers inspection other than changing th e tails which has been done. (in 2015)

No I wouldn't, I genuelly see it the other way around a fuse protects the s emiconductor, which are almost always more expensive than the fuse.

I have 50ma QB fuses in stock for our 3 phase unit. We want the fuse to go rathe rthan it destroying the £3k teaching equi pment and I assume that's why feedback incorporasted a 50ma fuse rather tha n a 6 inch nail which would have been cheaper than a fuse.

You have f*ck all idea do you.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Can you actually read.

Tell me what or which channles are broadcasting 4k in the UK

where did I say TV channel ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

is better resouliontion than SD or that 4K etc....

ought in 1988 a CRT.

You're clearly confused

Reply to
tabbypurr

the tails which has been done. (in 2015)

semiconductor, which are almost always more expensive than the fuse.

uipment and I assume that's why feedback incorporasted a 50ma fuse rather t han a 6 inch nail which would have been cheaper than a fuse.

So you're an electronics tech but have no idea whether you have fuses, MCBs or anything else. Meter readers don't do inspections, but you think they d o and have. You know jack about fuses yet are happy to argue your pov on th ose too. Etc etc. I don't know why you've taken up trolling but you clearly have.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's what's meant to happen but since semiconductors tend to blow faster than fuses, the opposite usually happens.

We once came across some 5A fuses with a restance of 1 ohm. Rather a significant volts drop on a 12v power line!

Reply to
charles

Didn't think you'd understand it. As I said get one of your students to explain it.

Go ahead and fit a 50 mA fuse to your house lighting circuit. That will certainly protect your dimmer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. As any tech knows. Wonder what Mr Whisky does for a living?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And quite right too. Given the knowledge of those working in them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well done which is why we had to send back the unit to germany for repair. There must have been a reason why they fitted 32ma fuses. They were 3 other fuses in teh unit 160ma IIRC they supply spare fuses for those as they expect them to blow I assume but they don;t supply 32ma fuses .

So where such as fuse has blow and when replaced the unit no longer works y ou can;t DIY by just changing a fuse. this unit cost about £3k when br ought.

It was somewhere in the power supply circutry of this unit.

whisky-dave

why are you saying this unit is a dimmer.

whisky-dave

He's half out of it.

Reply to
tabbypurr