HW cylinder jackets

Are after-market HW cylinder jackets much of a muchness or do they come in different grades?

My wife's aunt's cylinder is about 14" in diameter & about 3' high. Never seen one like it before. At present it has no lagging at all but as it doesn't get used much, it's not quite the financial disaster you might imagine. ;-)

Any tips on cylinder jackets?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Tim Downie wrote on 20/08/2009 :

Yes, don't buy one.

Make sort sort of box, which doesn't cover/allows free airflow around the immersion heater head (if it has one). Make it at least 2" wider all the way around and fill the space with insulation. Much more effective than a jacket.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And if you can't do that, buy 2 of the thickest jackets you can get and overlap them all round the tank, twice.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Good idea but as the tank is 250 miles from my house and as up until the present, the owner hasn't noticed the lack of any lagging, probably not going to happen.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim Downie" saying something like:

Wrap it first in a mylar 'space blanket' and then with an old duvet. Much better than the vast majority of the tank lagging jackets on the market.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Squirty foam!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yet another option... if its in a small airing cupboard, the walls can serve as 3 of your box sides, fill all the space with whatever insulation you've got around. Dont insulate over the electrical wires though. If you have no insulation, you will, it turns up in pretty much all kitchen bins.

NT

Reply to
NT