HW and CH Problems

Having bother with my HW and CH. When I want to turn on the CH using the wall programmer, I turn the room thermostat up to about 24 degrees, which is ok the heating comes on. However when I want both HW and CH and use the programmer for this (set it to HW/CH) I still only get the CH coming on. This is the same for just HW, I get CH only. The manual switch on the 3 way valve in the airing cupboard next to the hot water storage does not spring back to auto when moved to the manual positon.

Is this valve no good, I also fitted a new programmer which was supposed to be a replacement for the old Honeywell unit, but I have my doubts. Can some advise as to where to start??

Reply to
tommy

What happened first? The new programmer or the fault?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Sounds like the 3-port valve is permanently in the HW-only position. This

*could* be an electrical problem, but is more likely to be that the mechanical bit of the valve is jammed.

You should be able to remove the actuator (the electrical bit) from the valve in order to investigate. Most are just held on with a couple of screws.

Once you have separated it, see whether you can turn the spindle of the valve by hand. It should be possible to rotate it with finger and thumb - or with *light* pressure from pliers. Then put the actuator through its paces (while still removed) by selecting each CH/HW combination in turn (using the programmer and stats) and see whether it moves into an appropriate position for what is selected.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Will try tomorrow as I'm on nightshift at 7 and the wife would like to keep warm tonight she's not bothered about the water for now. Thanks for the help, will post tomorrow

Reply to
tommy

The new programmer

Reply to
tommy

The new programmer

Reply to
tommy

The new programmer

Reply to
tommy

In that case you have simply wired it up wrong.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth