HSS worktop jig hire pack

Hi,
I have finally come to the part of my kitchen I have been dreading all year. I need to join my worktops using the butt and scribe method. Aluminium joining strips just do not cut it according to her indoors.
As purchasing a jig and router specifically for this job is not economical I have decided to hire HSS' worktop jig hire pack which includes everything I need (apart from the connecting bolts).
Also a mate of mind recommended using a new cutter to use with the router as the condition of the supplied one is rather hit and miss.
Looking on Screwfix for 1/2" straight cutters has left me confused as there seems to be a lot to choose from.
So my question is which cutter do I need?
Thanks,
John

I decided to purchase both. The router is useful for so many other things such as accurately and cleanly trimming the other ends of each piece of worktop.

I bought a new B&Q cutter for less than 10. First two cuts were OK but then one cut caused some chipping to the laminate which is not so noticeable after using the coloured epoxy glue/filler aold for joining worktops. What I discovered afterwards was that the cutter was gunged up, presumably with glue from the chipboard worktop. I would clean the cutter after every cut, in fact, at that price, I would use a new cutter for each join (two cuts + bolt recesses). I would never use a cutter that had previously been hired to persons unknown.

1/2" shank (or to fit the router), 1/2" (12.7mm) diameter (or as required by the jig/guide bush combination) x 50mm. e.g. Screwfix 69368.
Andrew
Like Andrew I decided to buy a 1/2" router and Jig. The router is a very useful tool as it has allowed me to be more creative with other woodworking. When I was buying my router the shop was selling the Trend combi 66 for 85 (inc vat) this price also included a 1/2" cutter. At this price I decided to get the jig rather than hiring. I had the comfort of knowing the jig would be true and I had as much time to do the job as I wanted and not be under pressure to get the joints done in one day so as to not incur additional hiring costs.
As for doing the joints if you take your time and clamp the jig to the workplace firmly you will get a superb joint. For good results take many small cuts and do not push to hard just go with the flow of the router, your bit will last longer too.
Eric.

Not forgetting to push the router in the right direction when entering and leaving the worktop. If you aren't careful you could break the edge of the worktop as the router bit exits the side.
PoP