Hozelock conundrum

In message , at 21:32:14 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Tim+ remarked:

Currently what's wrong is they want £4 p&p on top of the inflated £4.70 price of buying one of the 'genuine' Hozelock items. If there was a 'compatible' one in the shops it would be about £1.50 all up.

Oh, and despite using their own postcode checker (which fills in street address and county only) it insists I fill in the "Country" field (as UK) before proceeding to the next screen, which is the one that springs the p&p charge on you.

Reply to
Roland Perry

nal-september.org>, at 21:32:14 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Tim+

charge on you.

Don't buy Hozelock then. Just use any compatible female connector, throw away the screw collar that's normally used to secure it to the cut hose end and then grind/file the exposed end flat so that it will form a seal against the washer in the end of your flat hose screw connector.

Pretty sure it's the same thread and I've done this myself in the past.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , at 10:58:27 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Tim+ remarked:

I've tried that and the thread is slightly different. One of my neighbours is going to try the same (again), because he's convinced it'll work. I'll let everyone know what happens...

Reply to
Roland Perry

r.org>, at 10:58:27 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Tim+ remarked:

Ah, I've just had a rummage in my garage. Some very old non-hozelock branded fittings do have an identical thread but the new hozelock ones have a slightly different one. Nothing that a bit (or a lot) of PTFE tape couldn't fill though. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , at 14:36:55 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Tim+ remarked:

Well, we have a "result" as the football commentators say.

The neighbour's attempt failed (as I suspected it might), and while I was in town today I looked around the hardware stall in the weekly market, and found they had a bucket of "we don't know what these are because the blister pack has gone missing" hose widgets.

Their still-in-blister-pack hose widgets are only £1 each (for a wide variety of sex changes), but he was delighted to sell me the one I recognised as the one I needed, in his oddments bucket, for 20p. I think he was almost going to give it me for free.

Installed on a different neighbour's flat hose; and great delight all round. A two-widget solution rather than the three-widget I'd resigned to, or the four-widget that was the most 'obvious'.

Quite happy to be packing it out if required, but the size mismatch is that the male thread is *larger* than the female one. (Brings tears to the eyes, I'm told).

Reply to
Roland Perry

No, I'm pretty sure you'll find the hose end fitting of that is half inch BSP. So take two of those, remove and throw away the hose "nuts" and screw them into each end of the thing I pointed you at. Maybe with a bit of PTFE tape or thread sealant.

Reply to
newshound

In message , at

22:35:36 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, newshound remarked:

Having had two different people try this and fail, I'm pretty sure they aren't. That is, trying to turn the outside tap into a female Hozelock. I already had the part which would turn the hoze into a male Hozelock, so didn't expect (and couldn't see) a hose-female.

And the plastic thread is bigger, so PTFE tape would just make it worse.

Got the part I needed from a bin-end in the market, eventually.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Hi Roland I thought I was the only one with this problem. My hose has a ma le connection and so does my long handle sprayer neither of these can be ch anged because of the screw conectar the othe end of the male. So what I nee d is a double female connector to connect them, you would think I was askin g for the moon. But it seems no one does one. So I'm stumped

Reply to
jifffy03

a very short length of hose with a female connector at each end?

Reply to
charles

Simple answer.

1 x female snap to male thread and 1 x female snap to female thread. And err, screw them together!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

All I can see is male to male connectors. Every hose I have seen actually ends in a female connector . Any future in actually cutting off the end you have now and making good with a female connector hose end.

soup

Just remember to use the hose the right way round!

Alternatively, does this not do what the OP wants?

Michael Chare

Nope, well don't think it does (I am not the OP so don't know the specifics) . That connects hose to hose it does not connect to a sprayer(or indeed an accessory of any type).

That does not accept plugs of any type it screws down over hose ends.

Reply to
soup

More often than not in my experience, if you can't find the right connector to do what you want it's because you're doing it wrong. ;-)

A bit of "polarity reversal" usually sorts out most connector problems.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It is quite frequent to want male -to-male or female-to female as manufacturers have different ideas on how their tool should terminate.

male-to-male exists .... female-to-female always ends up 2 fittings on a short piece of pipe

Reply to
rick

OK, I agree. Perhaps the hose should have a female connector, and be used with a double male if it needs to connect to a female

Reply to
Michael Chare

It only needs to connect to a male though. It should only need a hose to female connector (as per my above). I can't see how the OP has a hose which ends in a male connector.

Reply to
soup

when this type of fitting first appeared, hoses had a male end - just like a tap. Then suddenely hoses had female ends.

Reply to
charles

That must have been a while ago. Have only ever seen hoses with female fitting ends but then have only had a garden for eighteen years. Surely a hose at that age will need replaced .

At the very least lose the end of the hose, and put on a fitting to turn the end of the hose to female. All(?) the accessories sold nowadays assume the hose will be fitted with a female end.

Reply to
soup

Possibly for use as an extension which connects to a tap and then goes to a normal double female hose!

Reply to
Michael Chare