Howling gale in my loft!

There is a powerful draft up in my loft. I am well aware that a loft should be ventilated, but if the wind whistles right through it's going to suck a lot of heat out of the house in Winter. I've just added 170mm of rockrool to the loft, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to cut down on the breeze that's getting in. It's an old stone-built house (1850s) I can see light getting in through some holes in the soffit at one place, and part of the roof has no felt inside, so the wind gets in between the roof tiles there. In the interest of thermal efficiency, should I block some of the sources of the drafts?

Thanks

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Boarding, or simply plastic sheet maybe.

Fixing holes in eaves that were always built that way is a thankless task IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:i6rbum$bqe$2 @news.albasani.net:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering how wind-proof rockwool is... One thing I was thinking of covering the existing rockwool with the so- called "space-blanket" rolls seen at B&Q - a layer of rockrool covered on each sode by reflective plastic material.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Rockwool definitely loses efficacy in a howling gale, so do whatever it takes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, and to increase it to at least 300mm.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Something breathable would be better than ordinary plastic sheet to reduce the risk of condensation forming and eventually rotting the ceiling rafters.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That's probably true. Having said that, in an ideal world one would have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation, to stop warm moist air rising into the loft space from the house.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Often wondered, would Dulux Plaster Seal (interior) do sufficiently - either on top of the ceiling or underneath where it is bare? There are various other sealing products available, which can then be painted.

Reply to
js.b1

yes that would be ideal but how many installers of extra insulation think to add such a vapour barrier??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I should think approximately none, especially as it would involve lifting old, filthy insulation. More of a practical proposition if you are insulating for the first time, of course.

If you don't have it, then I think the earlier observation, about making sure anything overlaid to prevent blowing around should be pervious to moisture, is right. Though if you've used rolls of insulation, just laying a few wooden battens around should hold it down all right. Then again I've never been in the OP's loft.

Cheers Richard

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster