Howdens/Prices.

I'm considering having a new kitchen fitted. A chap who's done some carpentry work for me before has offered to supply and fit a Howdens kitchen at 'cost' plus VAT and his (fixed) fee for installation.

I supplied the details of the kitchen and he came back from Howdens with a quote. At the same time I ran the same kitchen (I think - different name, same units, doors and worktop) through the MFI website and, much to my surprise, the MFI stuff came in ~15% cheaper.

I can't imagine he'd add something on to the price himself. We talked this through and he thinks I should now go with MFI if that's cheaper for me. He even offered to do it for the same money despite now having to build the flatpacks.

So, are the Howdens carcasses of a better quality? I always thought it was exactly the same stuff, so why should it be dearer?

Reply to
Windy Miller

Howdens is the trade arm of MFI so why the "public" MFI should be cheaper, I have no idea.

John.

Reply to
John

Can you post an example of a specific kitchen unit you're buying, and what the cost is at both Howdens and MFI? I'm interested as I use Howdens myself.

As you say, it's the same stuff - considerably more convenient to buy it ready-made as per Howdens, but I'm surprised it's apparently costing you more.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Windy Miller writes

Maybe because Howdens dont come as flat packs, (I deduce this from your post). I would guess that it is worth 15% not to have to build from flatpack.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

When we got our MFI kitchen (2 years ago), I compared prices with Howden and found them to be more expensive. I think 'trade' in this case simply means 'conveniently pre-assembled'.

Incidentally, both companies were a pig to deal with, and I'd never use them again.

Reply to
Grunff

This is from the MFI website, all the stuff is 'Malton Oak'

Unit Total Ext.Sv

300 Deluxe Drawer Line Base Unit MTO1105 £139.00 £139.00 £27.80 300 High Line Base Unit MTO1200 £110.00 £110.00 £22.00 400 Deluxe Drawer Line Base Unit MTO1115 £160.00 £320.00 £64.00 500 Deluxe Drawer Line Base Unit MTO1125 £179.00 £179.00 £35.80 1000 Dummy Drawer Line Base Unit MTO1180 £248.00 £248.00 £49.60 1000 High Line Corner Base Unit MTO1330 £201.00 £201.00 £40.20 1000 Double Full Height Wall Unit MTO1460 £179.00 £179.00 £35.80 Tall Wall Decor End Unit MTO1912 £45.00 £45.00 £0.00 Base Decor End Unit MTO1921 £45.00 £135.00 £0.00 Decor Cornice Rail MTO1940 £55.00 £55.00 £0.00 Continous Plinth MTO1960 £25.00 £50.00 £0.00 Gloss Laminate Worktop WOR1465 £99.00 £198.00 £0.00

Subtotal £1,859.00 Extra Savings £275.20 Delivery £30.00 You Pay £1,613.80

The total cost from Howdens for 'Twekesbury Oak' was slightly over 2000 but I've realised that included a sink, so maybe nearer £1800 including VAT for comparison with the MFI price.

So 200 quid extra for the pre-built units. Worth it?

Reply to
Windy Miller

That seems a lot of units and there for a fair amount of build time. How much do you consider your time is worth? Depending on my employer =A3200 gets about 8hrs of my time...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I bought my utility room and my mother in laws kitchen from Howdens and got a huge discount from the book price around 60%to 70%. I opened an account not sure if you have to do this to get the discount, but it was the same on doors etc. Rob

Reply to
rob

Our builder broke ranks and revealed that Howdens have two "book" prices - the prices builders are supposed to charge their customers and the prices they pay themselves, which are approx. 60% less.

He even left the trade catalogue with us which contains both sets of prices; the usual catalogue customers see contains only the higher ones.

In the end even the trade prices were 2x B&Q, and I don't mind putting it all together myself, so that's where we went.

Reply to
Ben Edgington