how would you get your concrete?

Absolute rubbish.

None of my weeds even get NEAR the base of the gravel. They are all windblown an live *in* the gravel, or in the mud the cars have brought in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Back at you.

It doesn't need regular dosing with Pathclear, its not eventually all mud & doesn't need another layer. My drive & front garden have been down for 6 years. Garden has fabric & gravel, drive has Type 1 & gravel.

Don't have much mud on wheels since I live in an urban area. Only weeds I get are from bird droppings. No problem whatsoever to control. Maybe 10 mins per 3 months including the odd rake - still looks 100%.

Few weeks ago I changed the oil on the van & made a mess. A few minutes with a rake sorted it. The mess would have shagged concrete of blocks completely.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Interesting dialogue.

I have a gravel drive, been down 27 years in an urban area and now knackered due to blinding. Wind blown and washed off the vehicles. Had a great appearance and of course the water soaked below, no runoff to be concerned about despite being mounted on a heavy clay based loam. The gravel is half inch and the sub base approx. one and a half inch granite chips which is rather odd for where we live, East Midlands and prone to frost. Wishing to support the UK, I had many "BMC" motors and found the ability to rake and move the gravel an advantage due to the motors' abilities to irrigate the surface with the North Sea's best.

Having said that, my father's home, where the concrete for the drive was laid in 53 is still sound. This is on the coast and even with the Climate Warmists' dramatic projections should only require one to use your wellies once a year in 2050.

Originally, BSAs and Ford sit up and beg vans occupied the drive and dumped their load which was removed.During the later 50s and through the 60s, beetles occupied the drive without ever shedding any oil. Late 60s and early

70s, mini's and Mercs occupied the drive; both types of vehicles did spot the drive at the minimum! After that, diesel Pugs and Mercs which were very well trained not to relieve themselves on the drive have inhabited it.

This drive is on a hill on a sandy base and the concrete is only just showing signs of movement. The surface is in excellent condition showing no signs of spalling and no oil on the surface.

Figure? YMMV.

Reply to
Clot

I've sourced a mixer for free for a couple of weeks. Ta for info

Reply to
Vass

I used one of those for my kitchen floor slab. A bit extra and they barrow too. Either way, they have barrows on the truck. I just tamped it down. Advantage - you can say "when" whenever you feel like it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I used one of those for my kitchen floor slab. A bit extra and they barrow too. Either way, they have barrows on the truck. I just tamped it down. Advantage - you can say "when" whenever you feel like it. Simon.

It's a good idea if you don't own a mixer ... plus you don't have a very large pile of redaymix turning into a rockery as you valiantly try to barrow it away.

Reply to
Rick Hughes