How useful is a hop up?

Just seen this from Screwfix

Now all the tradesmen who have worked on our build seemed to have one, so I took this as a hint that they were generally useful. The price looks good.

How many people have one, and how much do you use it?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

All the time, they're easier to move about than stepladders, can be used as a sawblock, fold away smaller than stepladders and don't have any obstacles like stepladders, that is, you can work at 360 degrees when on them

Reply to
Phil L

I have two, and use them a lot for the same reasons as Phil, but also so I don't get the dining chairs dirty.

Reply to
Piers

Nope, just invites me to log in and even searching for a work platform or hop up platform yields nothing. Useless screwfux.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Goes straight there with a decent browser (Sea Monkey)

Hop ups of some sort are useful. Anything that is handy, milk crate/beer crate/Workmate/solid old chairs etc

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I don't have one but borrowed two from my builder, excellent for papering and painting ceilings.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Ditto Firefox

Reply to
DrTeeth

Ihave one which was very useful in our old house (1930's semi).In our current Victorian house with high ceilings etc not quite as useful

Reply to
chris French

Incredibly useful, use it almost every day. Curtain poles, light fittings, decorating, as a saw bench, seat etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got one, they are useful but £30 seems a lot to pay for one!

I seem to remember mine cost about £18 a few years ago

Reply to
Murmansk

Hop ups are always going up.

Reply to
polygonum

I made 2 using some 12x3 wide wooden lintols that I took out out a house refurb 30 yrs ago ... still going great ... been used for 100's of jobs .... outlasted any aluminium folding thingy.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Ditto for my plastic beercrate(s), that I acquired from the side of the road maybe 15 years ago. Very, very solid platform (more solid than the official foldaway hop-up looks to be). But by the same token: they don't fold away.

Oh, and if I need a couple more inches in height I stand them on end :-)

John

Reply to
Another John

ideally you need two, cause the missus will nick one for putting potplants on in the greenhouse or doing something similar.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

BT exchanges used to have a supply of varying sized wooden boxes to sit/stand on. They have a hand hole routed into each face so they are easy to move about.

Reply to
dennis

Brilliant things. More stable, easier to shift than a stepladder.

That price is good, but I haven't seen a Screwfix one. It's the sort of thing where I'd cheerfully pay twice the bargain price to get a good stable one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Aye, high ceilings here. Did look at hop ups but decided not high enough so got:

But branded Homebase for less pennies. Though I see Homebase now have it as Abru for not far short of £130, IIRC I paid around £80 last year. ..

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

O.K. - thasnks for all the answers.

Next question - which size?

600 long * 480 high as above or

800 long * 600 high?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

:-):-)

Reply to
ARW

Depends how tall you are :-)

You want it so your head is just below ceiling height when you stand on it, not so you have to bend. 600 sounds a little high.

e.g. 1800mm bloke, 600mm hop up = 2400 (average ceiling height). 1800mm bloke + 480mm hop up = 2280 giving you space to work upright.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman