How to wall mount a map?

Google just tries to sell me maps to mount on a wall.

So; requirements.

I can mount a map flat on the wall (OS or purpose bought/printed) behind some kind of clear plastic and easily remove the map and replace with another.

I don't want to buy laminated maps and use Blu Tack.

The wall I have in mind as first attempt has OSB behind the plaster board to make wall mounting stuff a bit easier.

However I also want a solution which will work on normal plastered brick/ block walls.

My first thought is to buy a flat bit of plastic sheet (but which type?) and drill the corners to take screws which then screw into wall plugs. Probably mirror screws with the chrome tops to hide the screw behind.

We looked at having the maps framed but framing a decent sized map is framing expensive!

The biggest problem that I anticipate is flattening the map and holding it to the clear plastic whilst fitting it to the wall; I have an image of a lot of cursing and swearing as the map slips to the floor each time I try and fit it to the wall.

I know that spray mount can be used to attach pictures to display boards. Is there a (temporary) spray mount which is also transparent which could be used to stick the map to the plastic and hold whilst offering up to the wall but allow the map to be removed undamaged when the time comes to change the map?

Bonus if the clear plastic can be drawn on (e.g. for planning a route on an OS map) and then wiped clean.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

This is uk d-i-y!

Reply to
Capitol

How frequently are you going to change the map?

Do the maps need to be used elsewhere for anything?

Do un-mounted ones need to be stored folded up?

I ask, because my approach would possibly be to glue the maps to sheets of thick card or even hardboard, and hang those on hooks set in the wall. If plastic is needed in front of the map I'd hang that on the same or maybe different hooks, too.

If hardboard etc is impractical I'd also consider gluing a thinnish strip of wood along the top and bottom edges of the map; that would allow them to be stored rolled. The battens could still be hung on the wall.

You don't want to be using screws & rawlplugs if you need to change the map at all often.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

How about starting with a large clip frame? You can still DIY the holes to screw it to the wall, rather than hanging it, to satisfy the inner caveman :)

Reply to
Robin

Static charge will be good enough as a temporary hold if you use 2mm clear acrylic sheet and rub it with the right sort of cloth. You might even get away with thinner polyester film if the size permits.

Spray mount is fine on the reverse side but you will see it on face side and parts with glue on will look different and be tacky forever.

Thin acrylic sheet is probably your best bet.

Small self adhesive Nd magnets and thinner steel shims on the corners would be my method of choice for attaching it hard and in tension.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The idea is to be able to store sheet maps (e.g.world) rolled up in the tube they came in.

For OS maps, I would like to be able to take them out and fold them up for use outdoors.

I have no idea how frequently they will be changed - but the plan is to make it easy and repeatable.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I like the idea of the magnets - but perhaps in a larger format for attaching the whole thing to the wall. I have a couple and they are very strong when attached to screw heads.

I don't really want to attach anything permanently to the map, although I suppose taping the corners to the back of the plastic could hold it in place whilst fixing on the wall.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

You could possibly temporarily attach a batten to the bottom using low tack tape to keep it flat and use low tack tape again to temporarily to fix it at the top while you adjust the position.

Low tack tape seems to have good shear(?) resistance to forces at a low angle but peels off easily off paper with no damage at 90%. Around the same strength as post it notes at a guess.

Years ago I bought a load of low tack duck masking tape from Poundland but I'm not sure what's available nowadays.

michael adams

michael adams

Just paste it on the wall. You could varnish it when dry to keep it clean,

Reply to
harryagain

Vacuum mount?

Reply to
Capitol

A fairly normal requirement for exhibition stands. e.g.

or, for something a little more decorative:

If you want larger than A0 1249mm x 901mm you will have to search for yourself, looking for poster frames or display stands

Reply to
Nightjar

Just looked at the second one, thought they looked interesting, then went "Ooooffff!" at the £137.70 for the A0 size.

In general, the maps are big. The first to hand is 1120 * 990 which is near as dammit A0.

The first one looks better at around £44.00.

Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David

+1 a0 clip frames seem to in the £30-50 region. I wouldnt make the map reusable - just buy another in a fold up format for actual outdoor use. Far simpler.
Reply to
Robert

Last time I looked, polycarbonate was significantly cheaper than acrylic, and I think the "static" properties are similar. Not sure if whiteboard marker pens would be OK on either.

Reply to
newshound

Equipping a good looking exhibition stand is not a cheap exercise.

I have seen larger ones in use at exhibitions, but couldn't find them on a quick search.

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , David writes

Given that there will always be a map on the wall, how about a strip of wood (batten, painted/stained/varnished) permanently fixed to the wall, to take the weight of the map and plastic cover? Suitably placed screws flush with the wall, map against the wall, plastic against the map and neo magnets holding map and plastic in place, without needing to support the weight of the plastic.

The magnets could be free, or glued to the plastic. Installation of a map would be straightforward - rest plastic on batten at 45 degrees, slip map behind plastic, hold in place with fingertips and raise to vertical, allowing magnets to snap to screw heads. The map cover may need to be carefully folded behind map.

Reply to
News

Yes. You would need something to take the weight of the plastic sheet. Otherwise it will slowly slide down the wall when you try to write on it. I had a similar problem with a white board magnetically attached to a fridge. It was fine until it vibrated then dynamic friction kicked in.

Self adhesive thin plate chrome plated Nd magnets are fairly easily available and have a decent grab factor to mild steel screws. You can use one on a string to find hidden steel screws in plasterboard.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Two words.

Requirements capture.

Reply to
David

Thanks - very interesting stuff.

I'm slowly moving towards having a backing board and a plastic sheet with the map clamped between them.

Possibly 3-5mm MDF and 2mm polycarbonate.

The MDF backing could be painted to match the wall.

Oh, and I never said there would always be a map on the wall :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Make sure whatever you get is UV safe, otherwise it'll gradually turn yellow.

Drywipe pens would probably be OK, the other thing is if the board gets dusty they can scratch it with the dust.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos