how to treat wood on older shed

I am just about to start and disassemble my shed (10 x 6 ft) the wood is in generally good shape with just one corner needing sorting, a couple of slats and a corner of the floor, will make a new door and may replace roof with a metal one, or clear perspex type as I dont want to rplace roofing felt in 10 years when I am over 70 :-( The wood has been treated in the past with probably B&Q type dark wood preservative but looks as if it hasnt been done for a few years now. Whats best for treating the wood, ideally I dont want to treat every other year if I can avoid. Should I go for a B&Q type preserve or something like bitumen based.

Reply to
ss

Real creosote.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Bought from where? I thought it was unavailable.

Reply to
ss

Is it constructed with featheredge or shiplap boards? If it's the latter, then Sadolin is very good (expensive though). I am just about to recoat my shiplap garden shed seven years after the last coat of Sadolin without having to repair it (with the exception of the roof which needs refelting after 11 years [green mineralised felt used]).

If it's featheredge sawn, then I've had good results with Ronseal on the garden fences over the years.

Cash Cash

Reply to
Cash

Only to consumers: trade outlets to the agricultural trade will carry it. In serious volume.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its shiplap, a couple of boards will need replacing but other than that the shiplap is good.

Reply to
ss

I still do DIY with my Dad who's 75. He can still manage just about everything that he used to. In fact I call him round and send him under the floor to thread cables, as he can move around under there better than me (my shoulders are too wide to allow me to turn over under my floor). There's hope for us all!

Personally, I'm looking at re-roofing our shed (it currently has a temporary plastic patch where a section of felt tore in a high wind) and I'm considering EPDM - looks to be a simple and effective system.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Plus used engine oil?