How to stop my garage from flooding?

My garage is at the bottom of a gently sloping drive which has been covered in tarmac by some previous owners. Originaly the drive was just covered in rough chippings, so any rain water would just soak away.

When it rains heavily, water works it's way under the door and eventualy forms a long lasting puddle over half the area of the floor.

I believe this is cause by two things.

(1) Rain water running down the garage door and onto the garage floor. (2) Rain water being prevented from soaking away through the tarmaced drive.

I have found what would seem to be the ideal solution

there must be a UK equivalent of this or am I going to have to import some from the US?

Reply to
Rob

You could use some of that stuff they use as cable shields for traffic light wires and so on run across the road. I should thing the glueing down/sealing is important. Gripfill?

Can't you hollow the surface to provide runoff, or use a few lengths of Accodrain or similar? Brick on edge drain?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Wasn't much use in New Orleans was it?

An alternative is a length of wood screwed to the floor and sealed with mastic. A far better solution is to stick a proper grate across the width of the drive and drain it properly.

Reply to
Matt

"cable protector".

-> cable protection (LHS) -> industrial (at bottom, click more info), click "Please click here for profile dimensions".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not the easiest of things to do. The garage door is inset into the structure of the garage walls and floor. It's not flush with the outside.

Storm Sheild seems to be the simplest solution to prove the point as it were. I'm either going to have water in the garage or on the drive. I prefer to have it on the drive. I was thinking of removing a strip of tarmac before the garage concrete floor so that any water can soak away naturaly, presumably as it used to do before the tarmac was put down.

Reply to
Rob

That specifically says "wind driven rain", and yours isn't being driven by the wind, it's just flowing in. You need to lay something like this

the door and lead it off to a drain somewhere.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Kin, Ell. That is outrageously expensive, FORTY SEVEN POUNDS PER METRE!!!! Sorry, but *really*. I've just got to toddle off down- stairs for a bracer. Pfffft!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Note I said "something like this", not "buy this stuff" - it was the=20 first thing I found on Screwfix, and as it's rated to 25 tonnes it=20 should do the job :-) They do 3m of this stuff for =A350

for "light vehicles".

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, I know, I am not getting at you at all...

Gee Hugh Henry, as they might say in Yank. You can get Accodrain for about 1/2 that, & concrete the brigger in. Not sure the OP is interested in this stuff, though. It's used a lot for "patios", or terraVES, where a natural fall to a gulley or is it gully would be much more aesthetically pleasing.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

| That specifically says "wind driven rain", and yours isn't being driven | by the wind, it's just flowing in. You need to lay something like this |

| across the door and lead it off to a drain somewhere.

No reason for anything that complex, A simple concrete block with a shallow U in the top would work.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In article , Dave Fawthrop writes

It works for your average day to day rainfall but for those occasional thunderstorms I'd even consider a single channel drain to be inadequate at the bottom of a tarmaced slope.

Reply to
fred