How to slow down an 240v AC pedestal fan

I have a 16" 50 watt 240v 3 speed pedestal fan which works OK but is realy noisy. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can slow down to about 1/4 of its present speed. I realise that there must be some sort of pole switching but I wondered if there is a frequency changer that could be used and if so where could I get one from

Reply to
John

If you have a variac then you can try reducing the supply voltage. Whislt the speed is meant to be frequency related, the amount of slip increases rapidly with reduced voltage.

You could also try a series capacitor but make sure they are at least 240 volt AC continuous working and preferably 400 volt.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You could try :

't know if it will work though but it says what it doesn't work on.

Reply to
G&M

Not suitable for induction motors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I know this is the case but do you remember the vellerman kit you put me onto some years back. I lent it to a chap to control a vacuum cleaner motor, next time I saw him he said he had put it into a miniature wind tunnel (Brooklands museum i think) controlling a fan which was either a shaded pole or standard induction motor! I meant to check up on it but have never been. I imagine it works by forcing a large slip, so it may get quite hot.

AJH (Andrew Heggie)

Reply to
sylva