How to scam even more money off your neighbours using Solar PV panels.

Required. One house with existing PV installation.

BIG ex computer machine room UPS. The bigger it is the more money you can scam.

As many old or near dead car batteries as you can muster.

Hook up the UPS to run the house and generate as much as it can in the day. So you the UPS, the batteries and the solar panels are all sending leccy back to the grid at 45p a unit.

At night run the house and charge the batteries on electricity bought at

5p a unit off peak. Or a pair of croc clips upstream of the meter altogether.

Then go out and gloat at the pub that you have ripped off the country to the tune of several rounds every day. Whilst looking smug and green to the unwashed bearded be-sandalled greenie in the Public bar. If anyone accosts you, tell them you name is 'harry'.

Simples!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wouldn't always agree with Bill Gates, but ...

"We're putting 90 percent of the subsidies in deployment ? this is true in Europe and the United States ? not in R&D. And so unfortunately you get technologies that, no matter how much of them you buy, there?s no path to being economical"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Worked in Spain.

Reply to
magwitch

I forgot to attach pics of this brand new 18-month-old Saxony solar park...

I have time, I'll supply a photo of a new set which have gone up on a house in the village which resolutely face N. North East.

Reply to
magwitch

It will already be happening. The whole industry basically exists solely to rip us off, enabled by the government. When you create a bent market sector like this, you just enable corruption big-time. Some of it's even legal (FITs).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, I'll say I'm The Natural Philosopher, and then stand there while I get pelted with bar snacks.

Reply to
John Lawton

OK

Why not a good battery from a milk float.

No you cannot.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Because it's more fun to keep the battery in the milk float

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I know, so I didn't say take it out ;-)

AJH

Reply to
andrew

So the next day you sell back to the grid the electricity you bought over night at 5p/unit for 45p/unit. Even with losses in the charger, batteries and invertor you are still likely to make 20p/unit clear profit...

The Spanish lot got greedy and had diesel gensets feeding the grid from supposedly photo-voltaic sources in the middle of the night.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I like this! :-) Lyn

Reply to
Lyndsay

They didn't they ran diesel gensets which really does show how ludicrous these FIT payments are.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How did they sync the UPS with the mains supply?

Reply to
Bob Eager

>> When I have time, I'll supply a photo of a new set which have gone up on

"Now it is out there decaying and its dangerous elements are likely leaking and poisoning the ground by now."

Is there anything to leak from a solar cell? They are just silicon. Any nasties introduced by doping are part of the crystal structure. What is there to leak?

Reply to
Andrew May

Erm, I think you may be wrong right at the very start. Getting the FIT very much depends when the system was installed, and by who. Not just any old house with any old pre-existing PV installation.

The ability to instal a UPS to run your house off night-stored electricity is entirely independent of whether or not you have a PV installation.

Furthermore, you will not be feeding electricity into the grid from the batteries, only from the PV. And then you can only get about 3p per unit for any electricity you sell to the grid. The 43p for the FIT is not the same thing at all. Unless of course you have somehow (illegally) wired up your PV inverter and meter in order to feed into it from the batteries.

I wouldn't suggest that anyone, whether with a PV installation or not, do that. But I get the impression you think that people with PV installations would be more tempted to break the law?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

They probably did and suplimented it's output with the genset.

Approx 10kW of energy in a litre of diesel costing (in the UK) about

60p/litre for red. So that's a notional 6p/unit treble it for losses, 18p/unit. 45 - 18 = 27p/unit profit...

If you made it obvious by feeding in when it was dark, or didn't vary the rate at which you fed in during the day.

Genset feeds into the solar invertor (genset doesn't *have* to produce mains voltage it could produce suitable voltage DC) or just not bother. Phase meter bewteen mains and genset and throw the interconnect switch at the right time, once connected the mains will keep the set in sync.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

[...]

Has anyone ever seen TNP and magwitch in the same room at the same time? :-)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

On 07/07/2011 18:13, The Natural Philosopher wrote: > Required. One house with existing PV installation. >

Whatever you do don't make this mistake. In spain the daft idiots sold "solar power" to the grid at night :-)

authorities are investigating companies who claim to have produced solar energy at night

Authorities in Spain have launched an investigation into solar energy installations that have been selling electricity apparently generated at night.

The Spanish government called on the National Energy Commission (CNE) to look into the matter after a newspaper investigation discovered irregularities in the times at which solar energy was being generated.

Spanish newspaper El Mundo found that between November and January, 4500 megawatt hours (MWh) of solar energy were sold to the electricity grid between midnight and seven in the morning.

It has been suggested that some plants in the regions of Castilla-La-Mancha, Canarias and Andalucía have been using diesel generators connected to their solar panel arrays to illegally benefit from government subsidies.

Rigorous enforcement needed

The Spanish Solar Industry Association (ASIF) immediately called for the ?rigorous enforcement of the law against anyone responsible for illicit activities?.

?This is very simple if solar facilities are claiming to have produced electricity at night,? a spokesperson for ASIF said.

In the UK, Guardian environmental columnist George Monbiot has argued the newly introduced UK Feed-in Tariff (FIT) could also be susceptible to fraud.

?By buying electricity for 7p and selling it for 44p (if you sell power to the grid rather than using it yourself, you get an extra 3p), they'll make a 600 per cent profit,? he has said, implying that generators may similarly hijack solar installations.

Reply to
CWatters

Never heard of gensets that produce DC? When electricity first came into general use some supplies where DC. Your car alternator produces DC... We aren't talking huge powers, a decent sized car alternator can chuck out over a 1kW...

Feeding DC into the invertor introduces more losses though better to just connect the set to the feed between the invertor and solar meter.

You seem to neglect that capital cost and maintenace of the solar array (weeding, removing dust, etc).

This is just a boost to the "free" energy you get from the solar array. Why should you miss out on your 45p/unit when it's cloudy? OK you only get something over 20p/unit for your diesel lecky but it's

20p/unit you wouldn't have otherwise.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice