How to save a table?

Daughter sat down to an Indian takeaway at her recently purchased dining table.

When they'd finished, she began to clear away and discovered that the heat/grease from the meal had caused transfer from ( I guess ) the delivery label on the bag, on to the table.

See pics at

She has tried various substances from soap and water to white spirit to shift it but, so far, with little effect.

Table is a laminate of some sort.

Any thoughts on how to rescue the table ( and stop her being such a stupid cow in future )?

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Toothpaste containing baking soda works on permanent marker. As for the latter...I blame the parents ;o)

Reply to
Lino expert

It looks like the ink from a permanent felt-tip marker. If it is you just need the right solvent. Try alcohol (some neat vodka would do), WD40 or acetone (nail varnish remover). Be careful though, acetone in particular might damage the surface of the table.

Reply to
martin_pentreath

Will suggest that to her later.

[Sigh] It's *always* my bloody fault ;)

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

That'll break her heart ;)

Think I'll suggest the toothpaste / vodka / WD40 - don't think she should be trusted with acetone.

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Nail varnish remover..its likely she has some..

alcohol unlikely to lift it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When you get permanent marker on a whiteboard, the best way to get it off is to draw all over it with a whiteboard marker (yes really), let it set a bit then wipe it off. The permanent ink comes off with the temporary.

Could work for this as well - it's basically the same situation AFAICS.

Reply to
PCPaul

The danger there is that on some surfaces the dry marker pen will also permanently stain. You may end up with 2 layers of pen you can't remove!

(perhaps Tika source would shift it - seemed to work the first time!)

Reply to
John Rumm

WKD Blue contains all those ingredients ready mixed.

Reply to
mike

I've tried various things on ballpoint ink, and by far the best has been olbas oil and similar things. So may also work for you. Use it on a cotton bud.

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , Kaptain Kremin writes

Dettox has worked for me in the past (believe it or not!) and if she's into Indian food, it also disolves/oxidises the yellow stains left by the oil. Spray on and leave to work. Alternatively, if it is a laminate then gentle scrubbing with t-cut or Cif.

Make her clean it herself but other than that, I can't help you there.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I don't know if this would work and I suggest that you try it somewhere inconspicuous first, but someone where I used to work used to demonstrate a trick - he'd write on a whiteboard with a permanent marker, demonstrate that it wouldn't rub off and then remove it by scribbling over it with a normal wipe-off marker and then just wipe it away with a cloth.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Whoops, I've just noticed that someone else has beaten me to it with this idea.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Kaptain Kremin writes

Has to be a case for an angle grinder

Hot iron and blotting paper?

IPA?

Reply to
geoff

Stain Devils do a range of removers inc some for felt tip pen, any supermarket, try on a hidden area first etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Greene King do a nice one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Stupid boy, Pike

Reply to
geoff

That's a bit harsh, how was she to know the curry was that dangerous. Anyway depending on the value of the table don't forget it's insured under contents.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Yeah, everyone knows Greene King IPA is rubbish :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Nobo-clean (or is it Nobo-Klean) is sold in good stationary shops for removing permanent marker from whiteboards. From the smell I'd guess it contains ammonia, in fact you could try ammonia but test it first as it can be rather too enthusiastic on some surfaces.

I think you're being a bit harsh on your daughter, how was she to know how dangerous curry was!

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook