How to replace lead riser 1930's house

The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Ignore the old pipe, leave it in situ, and run in your new PE blue pipe externally in a trench deep enough to avoid frost and mechanical damage, bringing it into the house at the most convenient point. Put an easily accessable tap on it as soon as it enters the house.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How far do you need to go back to find something that is not lead? Is this point on your property?

(I have a vague recollection of their being some requirement for water companies to meet some of the cost of replacing lead incomers)

Are you in a hard water area (in which case the lead itself matters far less)?

Reply to
John Rumm

Ours is lead too, it's not a problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You can avoid the water company by changing from their lead to your plastic at your property boundary.

depends on the comapany and the water.

... and the water company won't replace their lead for free.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Quite. The main reason to change it would be:

1) it's leaking 2) it's in the way of your refurbishment plans. 3) you need a bigger mains pipe to support revised plumbing.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

If they still have lead, it hardly seems worth changing yours... (unless it is a serious flow rate restriction)

Reply to
John Rumm

Rang up the water company and I think they will do a water quality test for lead - i'll take it from there.

I could do with making sure the water sample is a worst case scenarion so I guess water which has been sat overnight in the pipe? But then of course I would need to run some water through since I would want to sample the water that is sat in the lead part overnight.... I imagine the lead contant could vary a lot depending on how the measurement is taken?

Reply to
405 TD Estate

scenarion

imagine

Lead salts are far more soluble in hot water, and barely soluble in cold water at all. How you use this information is up to you .........

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson