How to repair/glue ABS tool case?

Hi

I have to repair my beloved Consort ABS tool case. The bottom edge has worn thin and split. I do not want to splash out on a new one (£100 + vat) so I would like to find out the best way of repairing it. Perhaps some reinforcing layer which could be glued on to inside? tia

peter

Reply to
peter

You can buy ABS glues foe model building

- first one I found.

Might help?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IN fact halt the plastic pipes you buy are ABS. That or PVC. From memory te same solvents glue both..so plumbers cement for plastic waste pipes and some extra ABS/PVC sheet, possibly cut from a scrap pipe and unfolded in the vicinity of a heat gun or oven, should do the job.

I HAVE has some success in models, reinforcing vac formed ABS cowls with glass cloth and superglue, or even epoxy.

A quick and dirty modellers fix would be to get some micropore tape from Boots, and some medium superglue from a model shop, stick the micropore across the weakness and then slosh the superglue all over it.

If you want to etch the surface first, use solvent weld thinners or buy dope thinners from a model shop..its all largely MEK. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone, whatever that is)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I believe MEK was banned because it was found to be a carcinogen or something equally nasty. It has been replaced by dichloromethane (dimethylene chloride).

One source is Plastic Weld Cement or Plasweld from EMA Model Supplies:

local model shop (although they are few and far between these days) might also stock it. I have been using it for years to weld various plastics.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

No, PVC and ABS use different solvent weld glues. One "wrong" way round usually works, the other doesn't. Sorry don't have the reference to hand

Reply to
newshound

Thank you very much for the suggestions peter

Reply to
peter

I think you would use the same glue as for solvent weld waste pipes.

mark

Reply to
mark

I replied to this a couple of days ago, but Dem I believe MEK was banned because it was found to be a carcinogen or something equally nasty. It has been replaced by dichloromethane (dimethylene chloride).

One source is Plastic Weld Cement or Plasweld from EMA Model Supplies:

local model shop (although they are few and far between these days) might also stock it. I have been using it for years to weld various plastics.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a myth. AFAICT its still in daily use and readily available. This came up on a modelling group and we all went a-googling, found no substance in the claim, checked all our tins amd bottles, and found it clearly mentioned on many of them.

I have some Hepworth(?) plastic weld stuff for plumbing. Its a solution of PVC and MEK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bugger, that's another week gone by without becoming perfect :-)

ISTR reading some years ago about MEK being banned, and I know that that's what Plasticweld used to be. Airfix Magazine used to recommend it in the sixties.

Anyway, here's a safety sheet:

Peter Twydell

Yup. Its deprecated in kids stiff, cos its a dangerous inhalant. I use it and acetone a lot in model building, and stagger out with a headache usually if I am not careful. Now I use it,and leave the modelling room.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can appreciate that. I once dropped a bottle of carbon tetrachloride (remember Dabitoff and fire extinguishers?) in my garage and was out of the door before it hit the floor.

Reply to
Peter Twydell