How to remove silicone from domestic hard surfaces?

Graduated glass tube with a tap at the bottom - surely you remember them from school?

Reply to
Rob Morley

It's more usually called a burette.

Reply to
John Cartmell

That's how I spell it too, but the other spelling is also valid.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not 'ere, it ain't... I'm sure it is elsewhere, though. Anyway, if you spell it "buret", how can you have fun writing about "invert the brunette", etc. etc.? The pronunciation is completely wrong.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not in the UK. The OED doesn't even accept buret as a foreign variation though Chambers does mark it as (USA).

So OK as long as the poster was on sci.chem but not from uk.d-i-y. I'd say he should have noticed that the language used here was English ... ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

The pronunciation of "tit ration" is wrong too :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

England and the United States - two countries divided by a common language ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

White spirit (substitute) is also an option, which also works to thin it into a paint-like substance.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It is an American spelling.

Reply to
<HLS

This is a global group. You use the British variant of the language while we are quite happy with the American one.

Reply to
<HLS

Exactly. I still prefer the use of 'mol' (der. Norw. 'mål') rather than 'mole', among a lot of other idiosyncrasies.

Even in technical English, the British seem to be taught a totally different system. Why use one concise word when forty pages can be used?

And, the Americans lean toward writing five words on the back of a paper napkin.

Reply to
<HLS

That's OK. I missed the translation for uk.d-i-y though. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

As one should have guessed with the mangling that is 'causticized'. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

'sok, at least he's retained his SOH (so far).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is silicone an "oil"? I thought (but I'm no expert) that silicone belonged to a rather separate class of compounds. See this link:

am finding that silicones do not seem to respond to cleaners which would normally deal with oil.

OTOH it may be that the spray I have used is made up of other lubricating compounds and it may be those which are not being removed.

Reply to
Peter Davis