How to remove ridge tiles?

Hi,

Can anyone advise a good way to remove ridge tiles?

Many of the ones on my (50 year old?) garage roof are badly damaged, so I thought I'd replace them all. The first 2 came off easily by gently hammering a chisel under them and prising. (The tile easily separated from the sand/cement bed and the bed then prised away fairly easily.)

The 3rd one won't budge. I don't want to use excessive force to avoid breaking the thin (4mm?) plain clay tiles.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think you have 2 options, either to only remove the lose tiles, leaving the firmly fixed ones in place, then fix the lose ones back in place, or remove the lot and accept that some will be broken in the process.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I guess I'm going to have to remove the lot. They look a mess (I beleive it's 'spalling'). I might try an SDS drill + chisel on hammer action. Cheers.

Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote: > >

If you do that probably you will end up with broken tiles not just the top layer and you may not have replacements.

hammer drilling will only make a bigger mess. If they dont lift off with a bit of careful leverage with a screwdriver you would be better to take the advice and just replace the loose ones. can end up a very big job for very little improvement and you will wonder why you bothered. maybe even a new roof.

Reply to
noelogara

Try brick acid on the mortar.

Reply to