how to remove plasterboard adhesive from brick?

Please can anyone suggest the best way to remove plasterboard adhesive from brick so that the brick still looks Ok. I've tried chipping it and sponging the rest with water , but now I have a general grey dusty tinge to the brick. Must be a better way?

This is for a conservatory, where the previous people stuck plasterboard on what was the external wall . I've removed the plasterboard but need the bricks to look nice. House is 10 year old red brick. Thanks

Reply to
keith

Brick cleaner, from Jewsons.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Wire brush

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've just stuck plasterboard onto my outside wall in a conservatory. But the bricks looked awful where an old out-house was chipped away etc. So you won't want to buy my house ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That usually damages the bricks. Either the wire scratches the brick surface, or the brick surface takes on a metal coating from the brush wires, depending on relative hardness of the metal and brick faces.

Probably not a suitable solution for you, but when repointing, if I have a small number of damaged brick faces, I will sometimes carefully remove those bricks by drilling out the mortar round them, and turn them round so the opposite face is outwards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Good idear... as long as you remember not to do it again in a few years ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for help. I've tried brick cleaner, not much use, will avoid wirebrush, I guess it's down to repeated scrubbing.

Simon might wantt o know why I'm taking the plasterboard off : Our house faces south across a valley & gets lot of rain. Rain soaks bricks and gets past the join where conservatory roof joins house, by seepng down through bricks. Bricks above door get waterlogged, never dry out due to plasterboard, and after heavy rain you get pools of water dripping through the plasterboard... I'm hoping that exposing th ebricks will let them dry out between times.

Reply to
keith

So your neglecting the wirebrush method on the basis that someone said it "that usually damages the brick"?

I'm not saying go at it like a demented demon scrubbing it. A light brisk rub with wirebrush will eradicate the greyness and if as you say the red brick is ten years old then the hardness is still there.

Suit yourself.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

A heat gun. Heat the glue up until it gets soft, you should be able to just peel it off then.

Reply to
john browne

Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:

Fredxx

Sorry. I didn't know I was replying to someone so immature.

Reply to
johnbrowne

Firstly, congratulations - you seem to have been the first HOH poster to actually find and reply to a message thread for a second time - normally any replies seem lost to the void and never seen again due to the way it highlights decades old conversations seemingly at random.

No offence intended, but we only really have two small problems with your comment: The first was obviously answering a question 15 years late

- especially in light of it already having been answered at the time. The second is a bit more fundamental since most traditional plasterboard adhesives are plaster/cement like materials that don't soften with heat.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes I sometimes feel that on that web site, its the users who are all blind, since I can see the dates of posts on the forum. The big issue seems to be that once somebody posts from that site on an old post the quoting is removed when it comes here thus removing the fact that the original person responded to an old post. Most sensible forum software that interfaces to Usenet, locks threads over a certain age and leaves them in an archive. This seems not to occur on Home Owners Club. If I could find a real way to remove posts automgically where they come from that forum, I would do so. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I wasn't expecting a reply from an ungrateful twat.

Reply to
johnbrowne

Brian Gaff (Sofa) presented the following explanation :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Pressure washer. You will also have to do the surrounding brickwork as it likely is covered in black mould. Be a bit careful if the bricks are cheap soft ones.

Reply to
harry

No it is not a reply Before replying to a 15 year old post please read this:

It was a heartfelt request and only then might you might then understand some of the adversarial comments your post attracts.

You are welcome to repost, but please observe the protocol highlighted in that article.

Reply to
Fredxx