How to remove Danish oil from laminate work surface

I'm mildly in the dog house because I left a tin of Danish oil on a kitchen work surface and failed to notice that the bottom of the tin was wet with the oil. We now have a dried rectangular mark that has resisted IPA, white spirit and meths. What solvent should I be using?

Reply to
nospam

Oil the whole lot!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do the rest to match the patch ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Unfortunately it's a black laminate work surface so an oiled finish isn't really the right thing (I'm surprised that it didn't just wipe off TBH). The work top is heading towards end of life but I expect we'll move before needing to replace it again. You might have the bones of a good suggestion though - I'll try rubbing it with more Danish oil.

Reply to
nospam

Sadly, that's not really appropriate for laminate

Reply to
nospam

Maybe even (whisper it) WD40?

Reply to
John Rumm

Rub it with their bacon? Actually you don't say what laminate type it is. I don't think Danish Oil is a solvent so it should not have soaked in. I think somebody on this list a couple of years ago reckoned that some label glue remover that CPC sold did this trick quite well, but needed several goes. It was a long time ago though so for all we know it could be a banned substance by now! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Petrol? Turpentine substitute? Cellulose thinners?

Reply to
harry

I was going to suggest label remover too.

Won't mention the usual last resort :-)

Reply to
newshound

Brown paper over stain and a warm iron ???.. Old army uniform trick apparently.

Reply to
Andrew

I get unwanted lumps of stuff like superglue from lacquered surfaces with an old-fashioned safety razor blade. You have to get the blade angle exactly right then it slips over the surface you are trying to protect then slices through the material you are trying to remove. Is that any help?

Nick (You might wonder what superglue is doing on a lacquered surface anyway. It's an old dodge for dealing with chips and dents in electric guitar finishes: fill the chip with superglue, level it to the surrounding surface, polish the lot up and if you've done it right the damage "disappears.")

Reply to
Nick Odell

replying to nospam, Usernamerequired wrote: Wow, are you my husband?! Hahaha - he has literally done the same thing this week! I only noticed today in a particular light!

Have you found anything that works? I've done quite a bit of googling, and have so far tried some Bar Keepers Friend. It seems to have helped a bit, and I'm going to have another go tomorrow...

Reply to
Usernamerequired