How to remove a parked car

If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power tool such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying everywhere. The car will get moved very quickly :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The road in front of your house is not yours. Anyone can park there subject to yellow lines etc.

Reply to
harry

Would love to know how to get rid of an abandoned car in the road, where we are short of parking places. Not MoT'ed and SORN'ed. Been there for 18 months. Interior now all gone moldy.

Council slapped a removal notice on it, but owners contacted them and said they hoped to get it working again, which technically means it's not abandoned, so council can't remove it.

Council however reported it to DVLA because it's SORNed and on the public road, but DLVA did nothing.

A local policeman also tried to get it removed, but couldn't find any way to do so and gave up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does that include parking across your drive so you can't get your car in or out? I know that you can't lay claim to the road *opposite* or *either side of* your drive.

We have problems with people (relatives visiting to the house opposite) who choose to park directly opposite our drive rather than a few yards one way or the other (between our drive and either of our neighbours). It makes it a bit more difficult to reverse our car onto our drive or to drive it out, but it's not the end of the world. I asked politely once whether they'd be able to park a few yards either way, and was told "I'll park wherever I f*cking like, mate - and don't you f*cking bash my f*cking car". I suspect envy: although all the houses along our bit of the street used to be council houses, the ones on the opposite side of the road were built with no drives (they have a communal car park 100 yards up the road) and those houses are mainly still owned by the housing association, whereas those on our side have drives and many were sold off in Maggie's Right to Buy scheme in the

80s.
Reply to
NY

I thought it was an offence to have a car on a public road without an MOT?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When I was a young and stupid teenager I would have moved it for £20 cash and no questions asked.

Dunno what they charge now.

Reply to
ARW

And taxed and insured.

Reply to
bert

That's *really* depressing. I think I would give the MP a try, IME some jobsworths get amazingly creative when threatened by elected representatives.

Reply to
newshound

There's a double yellow line I noticed in the next town, for no reason other than it's opposite someone's driveway. Very strange. I always park on it, guaranteed space.

I don't seem to have this problem, your turning circle must be even worse than mine.

What pisses me off (and no doubt bus/lorry/large van drivers more) is absolute fuckwits who park on the other side of the road to everyone else, creating a slalom. Is it so much effort to walk across the road when you get home?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I once sold a car to someone on Glasgow, and there was no tax on it. When I realised he had no driveway and was going to park it in the road, I warned him there were lots of traffic wardens about, but he ignored me. A week later he phoned me up to see if I could hurry through the V5, as he needed to collect it from the local pound.

So I really don't understand why a SORNed car isn't taken away immediately.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Picking it up and placing it where it's impossible to drive out of is fu= nny.

-- =

While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she = weighed. "I really don't know," she said. "Well, more or less," I prompted. "More, I guess," she answered sadly.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

How ya doin' Mr Macaw AKA Peter Hucker etc?

Yet another change of name and stupid post I see.

Reply to
Let It Be

I'm not sure it is. It is an offence to drive it without an MoT, except to drive it to/from a pre-booked MoT appointment.

It is an offence to have it SORNed on the public highway, but DVLA doesn't seem to care anymore, unless perhaps it's being driven, as the council told the DVLA who did nothing.

Not sure about insurance if it's not being driven, but it doesn't have that either. Given the police couldn't remove it, I presume their provision for confiscating ans crushing cars without insurance must only apply if they're being driven.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty dropped kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where they haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

If someone blocked the exit to my drive and I needed to get out (especially as urgently as your wife), I'd reverse into the offending car and shove it out of my way.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

You're a bit slow on the uptake.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

And so it should. You can't be at fault if you're parked (legally).

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Picking it up and placing it where it's impossible to drive out of is funny.

I once put a Mini Metro into a cargo load that was heading for China.

Reply to
ARW

If your driveway has a dropped kerb, it must not be obstructed.

If your driveway doesn't have a dropped kerb... You commit an offence every time you drive in out across the pavement, and anyone is allowed to park across it (unless there is some other parking restriction which prevents this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All they do is issue a charge to the registered keeper. If he pays it then what else should they do? I don't know how often they can repeat the charge.

Reply to
dennis

Which is illegal to drive across.

Reply to