How to remove 5mm from door

Hardly a major leap of faith though is it ...

Are you having a bad day ? ;-)

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Screw it on to the door with a pair of countersunk screws, or if you dont want to mark it - screw it on to a backboard or batten on the other side of the door.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

It is, actually - in one case a thin strip is removed, and re-attached, the hinge screws holding things together more than anything - very different from sawing a door in half to remove 5mm from the height.

Not more than usual, thank God. I are feeling a little irritable, though. Perhaps I'd beter have a mug of something.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

pmsl rather defeats the object don't you think.

If you have to chamfer the top of the door you might as well take the 3mm of the bottom and save the ££'s for what you would pay for hinges and the hassle of rebating if needed.

Reminds me of the bloke that designed a car lock defroster, a key on one side of the cable and a cigar lighter plug adaptor on tother. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

>>> Cic.

=============== It's an alternative method and might save the OP having to buy a saw of some description. He has no saw or 'equivalent' but he does appear to have a hand plane. It's actually quite a good neat method which has been in use for donkey's years and I would consider it easier than trying to remove a 5mm sliver of wood with a handsaw. Of course the OP might decide that tools are for life rather than for one job, in which case a basic electric plane is very good value and probably the easiest way to do this job.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks for all the suggestions...

This one from Jacob will do nicely:

Right then - how about a batten the same length as the sawboard, that lives with it permanently. A line of holes drilled right through the board and the batten, not far back from the cutting edge, and countersunk into the board. Two longish M6 or M8 csk screws with a wingnut and washer each.

That will take care of most clamping situations, including doors and large sheets, yet it's also easy to modify. It meets the need to clamp the cutting edge down fairly tight. DIY sheds already sell special slightly bowed battens for improved clamping. Above all, it's nice and simple.

I reckon that'll do me, so thanks again!

Reply to
Ian White

Vacuum works beautifully.

You have to be using it enough to make it worth setting up, but once in action it's quick and effective.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for all the advice. The job's done now (with electric planer).

:-)

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks from me too - an electric planer was the ideal Xmas pressie for my husband and I'd never have thought of it if it hadn't been for you guys :)

Reply to
Geoffrey