How to re-start a warm (but not hot) 2 stroke strimmer?

I recently bought a Ryobi RLT-30CES strimmer to use instead of my RBC-1000EX electric one where extension leads won't reach. They both use the same "quick change" attachment system and I'm pretty happy with them.

However I find the petrol one very difficult to *re-start* if I have stopped for a few minutes, for example to change attachments.

I can start it from cold with no problems, it sometimes takes a little while to warm up and run consistently but that's all. I don't think I've ever had a problem starting from cold.

Similarly if it's hot, i.e. I've just stopped it for a few seconds for some reason, then it just restarts with a pull of the cord. I usually find that it's easier to restart with the throttle left at tickover in this case.

.... but if it's warm, as opposed to hot, I'm finding it a real pig to restart. Is there some consistent technique on can use to avoid, on the one hand, flooding it, but on the other hand to be sure it's getting a rich enough mixture to start?

The cold start sequence is:-

Pump to fill the carburretor bowl. Four pulls with full choke. Switch to half choke. Pull and it should start (needs some throttle) Wait to warm up Switch to no choke

The hot start sequence (according to the manual) is:- Check there's fuel in the carburretor bowl. Pull and it should start

So, what do I do next if it *doesn't* start when hot? Go to half choke and try again, do the whole cold start sequence (except pumping to fill the bowl), or what? What often seems to happen is that I get worn out trying to restart it, I remove the plug and give it a few pulls to ensure it's not flooded and then a cold start sequence works because it is just about cold.

Reply to
tinnews

Pray (or let it go cold). ;-)

I've got a two stroke strimmer that's similarly stubborn. I now try to do all my strimming in one session so that it never cools down too much.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

When warm any choke is probably not a good idea. Have you tried pulling it with no choke and the throttle held open?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have this problem too (two Ryobis). It's OK cold or hot, but a pig when warm. So I don't stop it when it's warm until it's thoroughly warmed up. Start it cold and run it light for a while to get it good and warm. Don't be in too much of a hurry to cut something with it, in case it stalls while it's still in the "slightly warm" stage.

Another tip is to check that the cylinder is bolted firmly to the crankcase! One of mine came loose here, and of course on a two-stroke that's a loss of compression. No wonder it was being awkward. Only took a few minuites to tighten it up again, but you need to pop the tank and the end off the crankcase to get access and the screws are one of the rarer intermediate Torx sizes (27?) that you might not always have to hand.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, that's the "obvious" place to start isn't it. It works when the strimmer is hot but not when it's less than hot.

Reply to
tinnews

OK, thanks, it's not just me then. As you say, knowing there's an issue when starting warm means one can avoid doing it as far as possible. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I'll do that, I had (a longish time ago) a McCulloch strimmer that had exactly that problem.

Reply to
tinnews

generally a couple of hefty pulls wide open as a first base, then half choke as second base, but clear the choke as soon as it fires.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, thanks, I'll try that but also I'll try to avoid the "warm start" as far as possible anyway.

Reply to
tinnews

if you had spebt as much time as I had trying to get a Frog 80 model diesel engine to start in my youth, you would be simply amazed at how easy a petrol 2-stroke is..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My ride-on mower is the same. Starts first time hot or cold, but woe betide if you start it, run it for a couple of minutes and stop it. You might as well go for lunch and let it cool down.

Reply to
Huge