How to raise HEAVY air conditioner? (so the tube is nearer the window)

I have a Delonghi NF170

It is very long

According to the manual it says keep the hose as short & curve-free as possible for optimum air flow

However, my bedroom window is quite high

I have bought a exhaust tube extender (from Homebase - meant for tumble dryers) and used PVC sealing tape. [However, there have been problems]

How can I raise the dryer? If only I read books! I could place it ontop of a pile of books!

Any other ideas? [that are cheap or free]

Thanks!

Reply to
NoSPAM

Beer crate(s)

Reply to
Mike Harrison

wrote

Sounds like free discharge flow is important and you will get anything but free flow through one of those concertina type dryer ducts. As well as raising the unit, you could consider some smooth air duct from bes.co.uk. The bad news is you'll have to pay for it.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I didn't realise the concertina type ones were unsuitable.

Ofcourse I'll pay for a new (or extended) duct - it's worth it.

But is there anyway I can get one the same diameter? I'd like to pick one up (rather than buy online).. mind you if the weather is going to suck this weekend I wont need it in a hurry...

Reply to
NoSPAM

wrote

They aren't necessarily unsuitable, but will not give smooth air flow away from the unit. Recommend that you talk to the aircon supplier tech support and describe your current install. It may be something totally unrelated that is compromising the efficiency of the unit!

If they agree that the discharge duct is too restrictive, they are likely to recommend the use of smooth bore duct with the minimum of bends. I struggled to find a supplier of lightweight duct when I installed my last ventilation fan. BES will take phone orders (not just internet based ones) and deliver to home or work address. You can use a very short length of the concertina duct and jubilee clips to connect the smooth bore to the unit outlet.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

How good is the unit anyway ? i am looking to buy one and i don't know if they really worth the money.

Reply to
Golan

It's fantastic. Got it during the heatwave last summer. But it does depend on the size of your room.

One review (on a newspaper) said that it was good, but expensive to run. My rent includes electricity so I don't know how efficient it is.

It's an absolute godsend.

John Lewis let me try it out in the store before I placed an order. I paid =A3249. There are much cheaper no-name units.

My setup is just unusual my window is very high on the wall

Reply to
NoSPAM

i know that they tend to get hot them self. is that true ?

Reply to
Golan

What part of the country are you in ?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

London......

Reply to
Golan

We have a fairly standard "Goldstar" one that the girls in the office prefer not to use because of its high noise level and marginal improvement in comfort. It also requires the window to be open which then admits traffic noise (as well as being noisy itself). These things (with the elephants trunk hot air discharge) are OK -ish pointed at one individual who is sitting in the stream of chilled air. But don't do much for the comfort level of the whole room.

The office is closing in 8 weeks and the unit will have to be disposed of If you wanted one to play with, but I'm 230 miles away and it's heavy and too expensive to ship, especially since it's nfu.

The (more expensive) 2-unit systems connected with flexible hoses seem to work OK. In Italy they use them in shops, simply taking the flexible pipes and cabling out through the front door (which remains open ! ) to the condenser unit which is just outside around a corner.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard