How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

Not the only typo.

The original Buick unit had a bore of 3.5" and a stroke of 2.8" giving

215.5 cu in, or 3531 cc.

In general, the article is accurate, but just misses out the detail of how the engine was 'discovered' by Rover.

It also states the old Rover 6 cylinder IOE engine was not particularly refined. Current road tests of the first V-8 equipped P5s mentioned the great performance increase, but also the increased noise and vibration especially at idle over the old unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[26 lines snipped]

I'm afraid your memory fails you. There are no current production cars using carbs.

Ford Duratecs with injection.

Reply to
Huge

It has a resistance to very high temperatures and it also takes away heat too, cooling vital hot spots in the engine.

About 15 years ago I assisted once in the overall of an A series engine. From new this engine had crawled mainly around town. The cam followers were caked in burnt on mineral oil. At low speed and idling in hot traffic jams parts of the engine can get far too hot, as the oil and water does not circulate fast enough. I suggested using suitable fully synthetic oil after rebuild. The engine last year was squeaky clean with no wear. And the tell tale timing chain rattle was not there either.

Reply to
IMM

If you change teh ends at the ntevals I said, you tended to get about

120000 miles betwen grinds.

If you didn;t, they were clapped at 70,000 or less.

Most A series engines needed a rebore at 70,000 too, so exchanguibg engine became sonething you learnt how to do...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He does, and you do not, in this case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't know what you are talking about do you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

< snip babbling drivel>
Reply to
IMM

Of course there might be - but only for use in countries with less stringent emission regs. Which would rule out both the US and Europe. But given the number of nasty two stroke trikes etc still in use in India and Africa, I wouldn't be surprised if carbs might still be ok there.

Ah - forgot the little one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell tale? How does the oil prevent the chain stretching?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So does the correct grade of mineral oil.

Bully for you, 25 years ago I was overhauling A series engines, your point is what exactly ?...

But the car has done half the mileage, hasn't been use as a town run-about, has a different driver and has had regular oil changes....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Reply to
IMM

Both are turbo-charged. The Octavia vRS is the VAG 1.8l 20v turbo, tweaked to 215bhp. And the Touran has the 2.0l PD turbo diesel unit chucking out

136bhp. Both cars run on VAG's specific synthetic oil. I reckon mineral oil in the vRS would last maybe an hour tops, but probably less the way I drive....

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Good lord. So 'and you don't' becomes 'babbling drivel'

A phrase which actually has MORE letters in it than the original.

I there was any further evidence needed of your inability to actually discuss or aruge anythng, it's this.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sheer magic of course.

The oil is so copletely unsuable that rPM is restrcted to 1500 by te viscosity. Hence the forces on the chain are greatly reduced.

Actually thats the real snwer to teh OP's question.

Reduce RPM to less than 50% of max, and get 10 times the life.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and has never been taken over 1500 rpm :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you can't figure that out............

Reply to
IMM

temperature

Reply to