How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

I think the only reply is:-

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only if you have no understanding whatsoever of the mechanism involved in valve seat recession! Have you been taking lessons from IMM? You're starting to sound an awful lot like him.

Reply to
Grunff

Quiet at the back there please

Reply to
raden

In message , IMM writes

Your morris minor was designed to be fairly robust

Reply to
raden

Shows how little you know really, doesn't it John?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use to avoid Shell on my Midgets. Very low octane rating. National 5 star was the best.

I remember Esso being OK, and BP, bt ISTR mobil s OK as well for me. It was the shell something or other blend - powermax? - that turned out to be utter crap.

These days anything goes. I notice more difference in diesel than petrol qualities. Worst case was driving a car transporter back from Yorkshire: after a fill up at a 'cheap ' station it would not go over 45 mph without misfiring and producing huge quantities of white smoke. Filling up with regular motorway blend cured it completely...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er. less than that. Ther recommneded srevice interval on my Triumph Spitfire 3 bearing engined was 30k for big ends and 60k for mains, and, tuned up to the extent I did, that was absolutely correct.

BMC series A and B engines were the same.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The word you are grasping for is "too" with two O's.

The material the head is made of is very relevant. Iron heads without seat inserts won't last on unleaded. Aluminium heads must have seat inserts by definition because a valve can't run on aluminium. Whether those inserts are high enough quality to run unleaded is another matter.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Having machined some of those heads I'm fairly sure the inserts are often only cast iron rather than steel which is why the problem with unleaded occurs.

Reply to
Dave Baker

'63, AFAIR. It was a pretty modern lump for Oldsmobile, what with that new fangled aluminum block and all.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The improved lubricating qualities and resistance to high temperature breakdown of synthetic oils are so widely known that anyone who disbelieves this is fact is probably a loony. And going by some of your other posts......

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yep. I know a man who runs a fleet and swears by Ultimate. So I think they are right.

Reply to
IMM

You can't think

Reply to
IMM

That is right, John doesn't know things.

Reply to
IMM

Late 1950s, Rover acquired the engines in 61.

Reply to
IMM

disbelieves

I agree. They also cool the engine too.

Reply to
IMM

I'm sure my vRS would love to hear that. Would save money on buying the specific VAG product. And the same goes for SWMBO's 2.0PD Touran. Both come with copious warnings regarding which oils are suitable.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

As I said, what the head is made out of is irrelevant, what maters is what the seats etc. are made out of. Thank you for, in a roundabout fashion, agreeing with me !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It is when you fail to understand that what the head casting is made out of is irrelevant to the problem.

The same is far more true of yourself in this respect.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

disbelieves

And marketing speak, you don't NEED synthetic oils, otherwise 70 percent of all the engines used in road vehicles ever build would seize.

I'm not arguing that *high performance* engines don't need synthetic oils, just that the majority of road going cars don't and it's marketing that have told the mass motoring public that they need synthetic oils.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::