How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

So he's a doctor now. Degree obtained from the same place as his supposed BSc? Where efficiency means just what he wants it to mean? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oops! errm, yes carry on nothing to see here....

Reply to
John Rumm

I repeat, power electronics has changed very little in the past

25years. I hold patents on power motor drive systems from 1962, which are still technologically valid today!! FETs are a very minor step in the development of power switching devices. Only the pricing has really changed. Microprocessor control replaces, in many cases the original analogue system. A similar example is washing machine controls, which were designed as solid state in the early 1960's and are still mechanical switches in many cases today. Anyway, in terms of prolonging the life of your car, I've never seen any substitute for changing the oil regularly. Another example where there has been little real change in 60 years!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

There is no substitre for using the very best oil - fully synthetic, which wasn't available for cars 60 years ago.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

And I'll say it again, Bollox.

Didn't this thread start with this ?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

See:

Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download
to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Depends what you mean by regularly.

60 years ago, oil changes were at 1000 mile intervals, and the average family car engine was clapped out at well under 50,000 miles. Many cars now have 15,000 mile oil change intervals and engines outlast the car - assuming things like cam belts etc don't break.

However, correct maintenance has always been the requirement for decent life - of anything. But over frequent 'maintenance' can do more damage than good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He was back in mine as soon as he appeared under the latest guise

Reply to
John

Make sure I stay there. I don't like incompetent people.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

I have never read such garbage. Well these things you do read on the Internet.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Self hate is sad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Another witticism. Where do they come from? Duh!

to open account

Reply to
http://tinyurl.com/7y8y4

Well there you are. Electronics basically hasn't changed, but the way we use it has.

Lets agree that we agre on what's happened, but choose to describe it in different ways.

I have been astounded to find that the analogue chips I used in the 80's are in fact still in production today.

But if you say 'TTL' to anyone they either laugh, or think you are referring to IP packets...

The one technology that has happened though, is that te power switching FETS offer reliable fast switched mode voltage transformation - light and cheap.,

That's one of the key elements of a DC car.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Morphing again I see?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:49:53 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Mike" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

It's a good job then that these vehicles do 200 mpg ;-)

Reply to
Hugo Nebula