how to make a water pump run quieter

hi there,

i have an electric pump installed in my home to increase water pressure. i dont use it very often as pressure is usually good.it is a .75kw model similar to that shown in the link below.it raises water by a height of 5m and is rated at 42m max, 2800 rpm. when i turn it on its electronic regulator to automatically runs and stops the pump as required when i turn on the taps. another reason i dont use it often is it runs a bit noisy.it has always ran like this since i bought it 2 years ago. with the pump on there is more than ample pressure.

i was thinking of reducing the rpm to make it run quieter.could i add a variable resistor to a water pump ? thanks

got1tiel

No. You can use electronic speed controls, but these are not simple dimmers, and will cost maybe 90 quid, as they vary the frequency of the 'mains' that the pump sees. Noisy where? From the pump itself, or through the pipes?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Is this pump installed on the mains water?

Your description of the pressure varying indicates it is!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Mount the pump on something to isolate vibration (like foam rubber sandwiched between a couple of bits of ply, preferably bolted to a lump of concrete) and connect it with flexible couplings rather than rigid pipe.

Reply to
Rob Morley

insulation, not the pipes direct. If flexible connection pipes are used, mount the pump on rubber blocks.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

a pump on the mains water.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Well you *can*. You *may* not, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Strange that YWs advice to raise the head sufficient to get water out of the main up into the (high) roof tank at one factory I was at was to use a booster pump. They even approved the design

Reply to
John

Yes, and as Thames Water are dropping the pressure across London, increasing numbers of houses are finding they have to fit booster pumps to the incoming supply, and at great expense, councils are having to fit them in all their blocks of flats. I presume these are to refill storage tanks though, and probably have some feature to ensure they don't suck on the water mains to the point where the leaks turn in to entry points for contaminated water.

This is all about meeting government targets -- the water suppliers have to reduce the amount of water lost through leaks, and can do this without repairing leaking mains just by reducing the water pressure, and sod all the customers. So far, no one has managed to get Thames Water to pay for these pumps, and it's cost the councils millions for the tower blocks. They were considering taking Thames Water to court, but I don't know how far that got.

There's a big warning in my last Anglia Water bill. It says if you are thinking of fitting a combi boiler, you must ensure it is capable of operating at down to 1 bar mains pressure. Therefore I assume Anglia Water are going to be dropping water pressures too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or, have some mechanism to regulate the pump so that there is always

1PSIG or so in the supply pipe when it enters the house.
Reply to
Ian Stirling