How to make a hop-up?

Has anyone seen a link to a site where they tell you how to make a hop-up? I'm trying to explain to someone what it is.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

This the sort of thing :-

there are as many different "hop-ups" as there are joiners. AFAIK saw horse types and the tool box type were just knocked together with any scrap that was lying about

Reply to
soup

The message from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

Well, if you tell us we might be able to point you!

If you mean a decorator's mini-trestle/scaffolding/not-quite-ladder thing, then googling for "hop up" images gets this...

Guy King

Yes, this is probably easier. Mine was like this:

A 30" bit of 4 x 2 (or 6 x 2). Nail another bit (18" long) to make an upside down T that is 18" tall. Repeat, now you have two T pieces.

Cut two pieces about 24" long, nail one between the bases of the Ts, now you have a very rickety bridge. Nail the other as a bottom "step". Finally, a bid of diagonal bracing.

See what I mean, difficult to describe!

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Forgot to say, if anyone had "The Readers Digest Book of DIY" they would know exactly what I mean.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The message from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

Couldn't you just use a trestle?

Reply to
Guy King

Cut Ask the milk man for a couple of milk cerates, place on floor apart and put plank across.

KS

Reply to
keith_765

I'd consider this to be a 'hop up' but I dont think thats what you mean

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Like this:

Nigel Molesworth

In message , Nigel Molesworth writes

....surely if your friend/colleague needs to ask he/she probably shouldn't be let loose on DIY :-) (Please note the smiley before y'all flame me to hell!)

IMHO a hop-up is whatever you need it to be, and will quite probably differ to whatever somebody else needs theirs to be. It could even change from job to job.

Sometimes the arm of the sofa will do but to be totally honest, after the bruising and trips to casualty I now realise that SWMBO doesn't agree.

Hth!!!! Someone

Reply to
somebody

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the betamax was sooo promising and versatile!

Reply to
Gav