How to make a fireproof door and frame

I live in a flat and have become close friends with the lady in the adjoining flat. We share the freehold on the property. We'd like to put a door in the studwork wall that separates our two flats. I understand this needs to be up to building reg standards with regards fireproofing. Where can I find the correct specifications/materials/thicknesses so that I can construct the door and frame in compliance with the building regs? A drawing with thicknesses indicated would be most ideal.

Thank you.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The relevant Building Regs document would be a good start:

(or

Lobster

Thanks for that David. It refers me to BS8214 which I couldn't find anywhere on the internet. Lots of mentions of it but not the actual specs it contains. At least I couldn't find it. Where I can get this document? Alternatively, where can I buy a ready-made fire door and frame that conforms to BS8214? Can anyone recommend a low-cost supplier?

Thanks again,

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Wickes do one. Isn't that pretty but okay.

Reply to
Mike

I would expect at the simplest way is to buy the door ready made. Then make up your own frame using an off-the-shelf door lining, with custom made door stops. this is what I did for my loft conversion which also required a 30 minute fire doors on all habitable rooms.

Wickes have a choice of about three internal fire doors, ranging from a plain flat faced one at about £30, and nicer looking Georgian ones (4 panel, and 6 panel) at about 55 quid.

The difference between a standard door frame, and a fire door one, is the thickness of the doorstops. These need to be at least 25mm thick on the fire door. It is also a good idea to use fire door rated hinges (three of them - Toolstation are cheap for these). You will also probably need to fit a self-closer.

Reply to
John Rumm

Cool! There's a Wickes near me so that looks like the answer.

Does anyone know if ordinary softwood is OK for the the door frame and door stop? IIRC, I think any common softwood is OK for a 30min FD but not all woods are ok for a 60 min FD. Which fireproofing do I need for a door opening from a flat into a shared hallway? 30 min or 60?

Thanks...

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You could paint the frame with fireproof paint.

Reply to
Mike

The OP should check with his BCO but IIRC you don't need 25mm stops if the door has an intumescent strip - which you can get from Wickes or Screwfix.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

It is certainly ok for 30 min. Not had to do a 60 min, and hence have not looked into it myself.

Again don't know, why not phone em and ask?

Reply to
John Rumm

The above advice is really crucial: assuming you're doing this job properly and legally (which you should do, and it sounds like you are!) you'll need to have the BCO out to inspect it. He will know exactly how he wants the job doing, and it's all very well to do the necessary work according to your interpretation of the Building Regs documents or what other folk have advised here, but at the End of the Day it has to satisfy the BCO or he'll have you ripping it all out and starting again. There might even be other aspects of the project which will attract their attention other than fire regs which you haven't considered.

So contact the Building Regs dept first and ask them exactly what they want you to do in order to comply; they're usually very happy to help IME. Your best bet is probably to wander into the council offices with a sketched plan of the flat layouts etc and have a chat with the duty BCO. If you're lucky they might even come round for a looksee before you even start work.

David

Reply to
Lobster

-- micky104