How to make a 150W floodlight less glaring ?

I've got a 150W floodlight with a built-in radio transmitter. I like the transmitter feature, but don't need 150W of light and would like to reduce glare when looking at it:

've already fitted it with a 75W bulb, which helps, and I've located a source for 60W bulbs:
'm looking for ways to make it even less glaring . I'm thinking of:

- Wiring a suitable diode in series with the bulb - would this shorten the lifetime of the bulb by reducing the temperature below that required for the halogen mechanism to work?.

- Etching the cover glass with something to make it translucent - any recommendations?

- Putting some kind of translucent (plastic?) film on the cover glass to reduce glare - any ideas?

Thanks for any comments

Reply to
rgrgrgr

Peter Parry

> I've already fitted it with a 75W bulb, which helps, and I've located a

Is tilting it down worth trying? If you can see the bulb when at the edge of your property then you have it too high. Or mount it really high and point it down - so that you don't look at the source.

Reply to
John

Stick a yellow filter on it? The french ISTR found that a solution!

Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks, that's a very interesting product - as the area of the light source is large it would probably solve the glare issue. Unfortunately my floodlight takes 78mm bulbs rather than 118m ones, so it wouldn't fit.

In answer to other posters, my floodlight is already pointed down as far as it will go (about 45 degrees) - the amount of down-tilt is probably limited because the PIR is directly under the lamp.

Reply to
rgrgrgr

In what way does it have a built in radio-transmitter?

Reply to
OG

I'm assuming the O/P meant the PIR ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well I wondered . . .

Reply to
OG

It has an integral 433MHz transmitter which works with a separate receiver. When the PIR triggers it sends a signal to the receiver which generates a bingbong to infuriate the owner.

Reply to
Peter Parry

How strange, the web page doesn't mention the RF transmitter, the PDF manual does, The RF receiver is rated for 4 x 500W halogens, what's the idea, as soon as one PIR triggers you blind the intruder from all directions?

The section of the website is entitled "wirefree floodlighting", how many AAs does it run on then?

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns saying something like:

Sounds like a modern version of Stalag Luft III.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon