How to get wire under flooboard?

I have a wire running across a doorway in a utility room. If possible I'd like to drill holes on each side of the door, and run the wire under the floorboards. Is there any simple way of getting the wire across, eg using a magnet on the end of a string?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

On 08 Jun 2014, Timothy Murphy grunted:

You'll need more than small holes; but the answer is one of these:

I did it very successfully once years ago, using a borrowed pet rat and a ball of string, but that's another story

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote in news:XnsA3469808DD873davidlobsterpot601@81.171.92.236:

What about coathanger wire bent into an arc of the right diameter. Feed it down a hole in one side and see if it can find a hole at the other side. Fish around first with one hole and listen in case it hits something.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A local ferret-fancier might be able to help

Reply to
Davey

Have you checked that there is a clear path? No joists or anything? If so, drill Hole A at an angle of 45deg to 60deg to the vertical, angled towards the target, Hole B, at the other side of the doorway. Pass a single strand of stiff mild steel wire through Hole A. The wire should be about 1mm dia and the end should have a gentle curve to make a little 'ski' so it doesn't snag on the plasterboard or screed below, and should have the end bent right back to make a hook. The wire will bend as you push if it touches the plasterboard or scree and will run along it.

Hole B should be a minimum of 12mm dia. Make a small hook in the end of another piece of wire. Bend the wire along it's length, so when it is inserted in the hole it will sweep across the area when rotated.

When you hear the two wires touch gently withdraw the one in Hole B. After a few tries you should be able to get the hooks to link, and you can then very gently draw the first wire through Hole B. Use it as a draw wire.

This has worked for me for 40 years. It requires a certain amount of practice I have to admit. There are variations of course depending on circumstances.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This is the right tool for the job. Google:- "electricians fish wire"

harryagain

A simple option is to pull 2 floorboards up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222