How to get an exact paint match?

I don't want to have to repaint an entire wall because of one or two hairline cracks.

I believe I am right in saying that the Dulux paint matching service only matches to the closest Dulux colour.

How hard is it to tint a colour to get an exact match? Or a match as near as dammit so that only close inspection would reveal a difference.

The colour is currently building industry standard magnolia, matt emulsion.

MM

Reply to
MM

Take a sample to someone who has a colour spectrometer and can match the type of paint, perhaps a trade paint supplier.

Reply to
Jerry

The message from MM contains these words:

As far as I know they match to the closest their machine is capable of dispensing the tints to.

Reply to
Guy King

Last time I got a match from the Dulux machine for one of their own discontinued colours it wasn't even close

Reply to
Stuart Noble

thats the most common colour in use so I cant see a problem if you use that standard paint and use magnolia matt emulsion. Its bog common and easily matched compared to any other colour.

The mega rich landlords of London for example use that colour on their terraces of houses precisely for this reason. a touch up of a bad patch is all that is needed and no undercoats required. These guys have the real experience and know how to economise on painting.

Reply to
noelogara

The incompetents^Wcontractors who repaired our last lot of subsidense damage got all the paint matched at a Dulux place, even the Crown & other paints. That's why it didn't match.

Reply to
Huge

======================== Buy some white matt and a 'tester' pot from the same shade chart as magnolia (coffee, beige??). Mix and test progressively until you get a good match.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 354 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Unless it is from the same batch and properly stirred you are taking pot luck in getting an exact match.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

You didn't read the subject line did you... The OP wants an exact match.

Reply to
Jerry

service

That is down to the operator [1], there is nothing lacking about a machine that can dispense tinters...

[1] more to the point, no wish or time to do the job properly.
Reply to
Jerry

Its easy to get a close match most times _if_ you do it right. Appreciate that paint changes tint over time, and gets unevenly dirty. The eye may not notice it, but its there, so unless paint has just been applied it wont be the same exact colour all over.

The Golden Rule in paint matching is to clean the existing paintwork. Only then can you get a chip off thats the right colour, and only then can you have an existing paintwork thats at least close to consistent colour all over. Now with a decent colour matching service you'll _usually_ get a decent match.

To make the match appear even better, if your workpiece is divided into areas, eg by alcoves, corners etc, paint the whole section. The eye will not notice small variations when they occur on a corner.

If mixing your own, a) its not easy to get it spot on, and it does need to be spot on. b) always fill little chips and holes with something either identical or a tiny bit duller, never with anything even a trace brighter. c) underfill rather than overfill chips. when your face is 5" away, overfill looks ok, underfill looks bad, but when youre stood up normally its the other way round.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, I bought two match pots containing emulsion, one Dulux and the other Wilkinson's own brand. There is a subtle difference between them. Probably, magnolia is available from several other paint suppliers, too. I want to fill the hairline cracks as inconspicuously as possible, then "dust" over with matching paint. If the match is really close, I could then leave the wall for a few weeks and then gently wash over it with a damp cloth to even out the shade still more. I reckon it should be possible to effect a repair that was practically indistinguishable. Think of it like repairing those vases the bloke broke with the busted shoelace!

MM

Reply to
MM

Dulux should be able to match 'your' magnolia because they 'should' have their own magnolia and magnolia is a BS colour, 08B15 as I recall. However, as some of the other contributors have noted, colour matchig is a bit of a black art. When it works it's brilliant but it doesn't always work. Crown have spectrometers that match to the specimen, they don't like dark reds/maroons but are usually ok with light colours, that was my experience when I worked for them.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

If you take a piece of previously painted wallpaper to the machine and ask the operator for a match that will get you a match to the "dried" paint but the newly mixed paint will dry to a different shade which is what the original paint will have done as well so the difference will ne noticeable .Am I right in thinking this ..?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In my experience, you will spend a week trying to find an exact match, do umpteen runs to the paint outlet, buy several different colours, and then end up painting the full wall anyway, which is what I'd advise you to do first, it can't take longer than a couple of hours and that includes sheeting up and cleaning brushes etc.

And FWIW, there is no 'standard' magnolia paint, Dulux, Leyland, Crown, Jhonstones and at least a hundred other paint manufacturers all make magnolia, but there's not two the same.

Reply to
Phil L

No.

I work at a school and have to find matching paint for the old painted walls. The only time I failed with Dulux, was when I got a sample pot that was in Mat and the wall was in Silk. The matching is very good, normally.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from Stuart contains these words:

As far as I know they match the colour of the paint as it will look when it's dried. Or try to.

Reply to
Guy King

But I'd also need scaffolding to reach into the corner of the stairwell. The height is about seven metres from the bottom stair tread.

MM

Reply to
MM

Magnolia is one of the British Standard Insitute range of standard colours. It's not a wide range and most of the colours are pretty awful; I think the palette must have been determined in the 1950s or possibly even earlier. This is the pallette that determines what black and white are, and magnolia. The idea is that if a BS colour is specified it doesn't matter who makes it; of course it needs to be specified by number as the different manufacturers give them different names, sometimes. As I said previously, the BS number that will give you magnolia, from anyone, is 08B15. See a colour chart at:

Peter Johnson

different

give

Yes, but it is an accepted fact that batches can and do differ, this is before any aging that has taken place.

Reply to
Jerry