How to flatten hardboard..?

HI All

I'm looking for ways to flatten, and keep flattened, the interior hardboard-and-vinyl panels on my recently-acquired '64 Morris Traveller.

At some stage in the past the old girl's let in rainwater, and some of the interior panels have buckled. The particularly bad areas are along the top of the doors, just under the window seal - where the panel is standing a one to two cm away from the door in some places.

Rather than replace the whole lot (I think they're probably original)

- I was wondering about ways of removing the panels and clamping them flat, to permanantly remove the 'wavyness'...

Should I be thinking about 'steaming' the panel, or maybe even using some of that 'wood hardener' to stiffen the panel once it's clamped..?

Anybody done this - or is it a waste of time ??

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Would it be possible to steam them so theyr'e soft, then contact-adhesive them to a sheet of plywood behind to give them stiffness, doing it all in a vacuum press?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@ambquality.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've got similar on one of the door trims of a Cit Dyane van. I'm not convinced it'll be worth the effort to try to rescue them - and that's without new 'uns being available off the shelf, unlike for a Moggy Thou.

My plan - since the vinyl doesn't have any hotwelded "styling" on it, just a hole for window winder and a couple for armrest - is just to remake the damn thing in something less pikey than cardboard...

Chequerplate?

Reply to
Adrian

steaming/soaking plus press drying will flatten the panels..

whether its worth it is something else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Amazing how 'available' the bits for the old Morris are.... considering...

Interesting you should say that. The rear trim panels (by the rear seats and back to the rear doors) have also suffered from water getting in through the sliding windows.... - I was toying with the idea of making up some new ones from plywood - as I can still use the old ones as patterns.

If the ply was half-decent to start with, and the cut edges nicely sanded, and a couple of good coats of varnish applied then I'd think it might look quite presentable. The car's going to be in daily use, ferrying us and two dogs about the parish, as well as taking all my stock to a couple of outdoor markets each week - so the varnished ply might well be a more durable finish than the vinyl....

With the money I've saved I might even get some new shiny self-tapping screws to fix the panels in place - or do you think that smacks of extravagance ?

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Wet the back of the panels then clamp them flat, or put a small ridge around the edge and weights in the centre, this may, or may not put a reverse bump in the panel.

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@ambquality.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

...considering they're all being remanufactured in Sri Lanka, y'mean?

Indeed.

Absolute profligacy! You should be ashamed.

Reply to
Adrian

Didn't realise - but I guess it's obvious based on the prices....

Agreed then

Need to sort out where the rain was getting in first.... and there's a couple of places where the Ash framework needs a bit of tlc / wood hardener (yes - I know it's structural....!)

Oh c'mon - we all deserve a bit of profligacy now and then - you feel all the better for it

Regards Adrina

Reply to
Adrian

Yes - that's what I was wondering....

May well go with replacement panels (perhaps) for the front doors and the footwells, unless the existing ones can be saved - and then the 'yacht-look' in the rear and load bay....

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes.... Sounds a bit like one of those things where you end up with with the same problem as you started with - but the other way round (if you know what I mean !)

'Tother problem is whether the clamping process would damage the vinyl covering.....

The problem's most noticeable along the top of the door trim, ISTR that my old Midget (though it have been another car altogether!) had a formed channel at the top of the door into which the top edge of the trim panel slotted - but I don't really want to go redesigning it !

What fun, eh ??

At least the car port got itself built last week (thanks to all who contibuted on the discussion) - so the Mog is sitting in the dry - despite the fact that the rain's absolutely chucking it down at the moment. The joys of an Irish summer !

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Probably ! (Don't have a vacuum press though) But it might end up being more trouble than it was worth....

I guess the other way would be to 'skin' the existing panels (as in 'remove the vinyl' - and graft them (who's been watching too much medical drama on TV !) onto some new hardboard - or even thin ply...

Anybody know what the 'standard' thicknesses are for plywood ? (Although more to the point will be 'what's available' out here in the wilds of West Cork !)

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

You make one out of a strong plastic bag and a vacuum cleaner. If the panels aren't too big you can get them inside one of the "space bags" sold on the TV shopping channels - the sort that compress a duvet into the size of a face-flannel in the demonstration.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've had parcel shelves of similar material flatten back out after going out of shape (left hanging by one of two hangers for a couple of months in a mildly damp shed). Just put it back as it should be and it sorted itself out. I suspect your biggest problem is goign to be makign something to press it back flat with. Once that's done, I'd just leave the bits somewhere a bit damp to get back into shape and then dry them out for a few days in the house or something, still in the press.

Reply to
Doki

================================== If you're prepared to wait a bit you can use two sheets of 18mm chipboard (6' x 2' for weight). Dampen the panels with a solution of water and Dettol (to prevent mould growth), cover with polythene sheet and place between the chipboard sheets. Lay flat and add extra weight if available. Inspect after a few days.

If the hardboard has delaminated forget it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Never thought of that ! Good plan.....

Another good thought - thanks !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

That's a though - I've just sent off for one of those trim removal thingies (ebay!) - to avoid graunching up the paintwork...

Once I can get the panels off easily, I can see what sort of state the hardboard is in - and formulate a suitable plan.....

I'm hoping to sell 'the other car' - but want to get sorted any work that's going to take the Moggie off the road _before_ it becomes our only mode of transport...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

That's a thought..

ah - I see you've been there before

OK

As I said elsewhere - once I get the widget for removing the trim panels safely I'll take a look at the state of the hardboard and take it from there.

Tanks for the advice Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

================================== Just a final thought. It's not actually hardboard. It's called 'fibre board' so if you're shopping for replacements that's the name to look for. It's more flexible than hardboard. Early Minis used it for door panels without any covering.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I sort of knew that - but couldn't think of the right name... Thanks !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

or you could use the moggy to get a decent vacuum, hook it up to the connection on the carb that operates the advance/retard diaphragm.

NT

Reply to
meow2222