How to fix shower rail to tiled plasterboard wall

I am in the process of trying to mount a shower riser on a tiled plasterboard wall. I bought some fisher Plasterboard fixings, but having experimented with a scrap tile and piece of plasterboard have come to a halt, the fixings require a 6mm hole in the plasterboard, but to get the head below the tile will require a 10mm hole in the tile. My experiments seem to show that in drilling the 10mm hole, you damage the surface of the plasterboard, and presumably weaken the fixing?

Is this the best solution or should I be looking at something else?

If this is the best solution where can I get a 10mm tile drill bit, as I don't fancy using a standard masonry drill bit as there seems to be a lot of vibration. I have a pointed(carbide?) 6mm tile bit that drills very well with almost no vibration, but I cannot find something similar in 10mm.

All ideas welcome.

Reply to
Vernon
8<

My shower rail is held up by two 6 mm plastic plugs shoved into a 6 mm hole. It has been up for more than a decade now. Don't underestimate how strong they are even when there is only the PB and tile holding it.

PS don't use plain steel screw, they rust. I used brass screws.

Reply to
dennis

I have drilled a 6mm hole, but am worried a normal plug will put pressure on the tile. suppose I could push it further down. I have experimented with a gash tile and piece of plasterboard, and it seems unless the plug is in the tile, the grip does not seem that secure.

Reply to
Vernon

I mounted my shower rail by tile-adhearing three bits of tile on the wall at each end to form a U shape that the shower rail sits in.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston