How to fix Rickety stairs

Hello,

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers on how to mend my rickety staircase.

I live in a 3 bed semi where the staircase goes up and then turns at a

90 degree angle onto the landing at about the 12th step. I'd imagine this is a pretty standard staircase. The stairs are joined to the wall on the left with a banister up the right hand side.

The problems are : A) Creaky steps. It seems like some of the steps move slightly when you step on them and several are creaky.

B) From the bottom step up to about the 8th there is a gap of about

1cm between the end of the tread/risers and the piece of wood running up the length of the stairs that the bannister attaches to (string ?) It seems like the banister side is moving away from the stairs making this gap, or the steps have shrunk pulling away from the banister side.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can wedge/screw/glue this stair case back into life ?

I'd imagine screwing through the wood at the side(string?) into the treads or risers to pull it back together and hence close the gap but I'm not sure ?

Regards

Ben

Reply to
Ben Jackson

If you can get at it from underneath, just get some trinagular section blocks, and glue and screw it all together.

If you need ne treads or risers, MDF and a router is a good way to go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BigWallop