How to find out washing machine program lengths ?

I have a Beko washing machine which washes for bloomin hours ... well

2 hrs then. There is a thirty minute cycle but I would like something in the order of an hour .. ish. I feel that the washing times are stupidly long and not energy efficient. I mainy use a 40deg temp, so it cant be heating for long on a cold fill machine .. can it ?

How can I find the washing cycle times on other machines?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

What's wrong with the 30 minute one, which you think might be solved by having an hour one?

Long washing times are used to make the cycle energy efficient (lower temperature) and less wearing on clothes (less agitation). Assuming a reasonably intelligent microcontroller based machine, shorter wash cycles work by heating the water hotter and/or using more agitation. If your washing machine has options for selecting the soiling level, you may well find selecting a heavier soiling setting results in a shorter wash (counter intutively) due to using a higher temperature and/or more agitation (providing you don't go as far as selecting a prewash). Going from light soiling to heavy soiling on mine knocks about 10 minutes off the wash cycle, although it doesn't affect any of the other parts such as rinse and spin.

No, although it might not heat to final temperature in one go. Most of the wash part of the cycle will be agitation.

Download their instruction booklets.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Mike brought next idea :

Does speed really matter? Ours sits for ages doing nothing, between agitations - if I'm ever sufficiently bored to watch it. I would guess it is working more efficiently that way, giving the clothes plenty of time to have a good soak.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wouldn't assume that the longer cycle is less efficient.

My pet hate is the drying stage on my dishwasher. If I discover it at that point in the cycle I can turn it off. But usually that's at 4.00 a.m. :-(

Reply to
Laurence Payne

My Westinghouse takes 1:17 for a synthetic 40C wash/rinse/spin

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Mine's cold fill, and I'd guess the heating time for a 40 deg wash is no more than 10 mins - you can hear slight kettling when the heater is on.

It only starts heating ~10mins into the wash so for the shorter cycles it only reaches the set temperature almost at the end of the wash.

There's a table which gives overall times for some cycles in the manual for mine, but not every combination of programmes and options.

For my Bosch Classixx:

Cottons 30 or 40 deg:

Wash (20 mins) + 3 rinses + spin = 1h 15m

Cottons 60 deg as above but wash is ~30 mins, so ~1h 25m total.

Cottons 30/40/60/90 with "Wash Plus" option which you are meant to turn on for a full load or "highly soiled" washing:

Wash (1h 20m) + 3 rinses + spin = 2h 15m

[You can get wash times between 20m and 1h 20m by switching off 'Wash Plus' part way through, I discovered.]

"Easy Care" cycles are as "Cottons", but with 2 rinses instead of 3, so about 15 mins shorter. And the "Wash Plus" option extends the wash part from 20 to about 40 mins.

Rich.

Reply to
Richard Skeen