How to extend a piece of timber

Only saw this today, suspect it may have been put up last Sunday.

preview:

Nick

clamp on upside down ... someone could have their eye out on that!

Reply to
Andy Burns

> Tinyurl preview:

Reminds me of that Norm bloke who used to be on one of the cable channels, demonstrating how to make furniture at home. "You can do this, too!"... yeah I'm sure I could if I had a million quids worth of machinery and tools in a

5-acre workshop like you, Norm! I've got a rusty blunt hand saw, a wobbly workbench, a hammer and about 3 square foot of space to work in with wife, kids and pets standing on my work.
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

> Tinyurl preview:

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

He wasn't called Bates, was he? That's the sort of thing our woodwork teacher was (in)famous for...

He also literally threw chisels and wooden jack planes at people.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You must've attended our school cept his name was Bernard Richards. He'd also come along our benches inspecting our work then tossing it into the corner saying "this wood doesn't grow on trees y'know". Another gem was "insomuch as I have taught you the rules of sawring I cannot torelate such bad work". At lunchtimes we had "stop playing with the cutelry". Spelling we had "spell burrow", every1 spelt burrow, every1 got it wrong, he said "no, no, a writing burrow". Happy daze.

Reply to
brass monkey

Our "year group" (four streams) was split up alphabetically for woodwork into two groups. Those of us who had a surname initial up to about "L" were lumbered with George " Basher" Bates in W2, the others had a real gentleman, John(?) Thompson (Harris tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows) in W1. For about a year Batesy was on long-term sick leave with an ulcer (in those days there was no quick fix as nowadays) and our group was delighted to be doubled up with Mr Thompson's class (who used PVA rather than Scotch glue), and ddin'tt get beaten around.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No, Mr North.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We had a wonderful chap called Wellman (nicknamed 'Flam' - no idea why).

If a boy said "My wood's split, sir" his response was always "Your wood didn't split itself - *you* split it!"

Reply to
Roger Mills

> Tinyurl preview:

In American terms, if you've got wood you can stretch it another 20% Awesome!

Reply to
David WE Roberts

That's a lot of work and expense compared to buying a new bit of wood.

But I wonder if that gunk would allow the easy bending and shaping of wood (ie what traditionally would have been done by steaming)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Did you notice what the date *was* last Sunday?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Only saw this today, suspect it may have been put up last Sunday.

preview:
's stretching it a bit - isn't it? :)

Reply to
neil

> Tinyurl preview:

Fine Homebuilding? All the ones I have seen fall into either the 'look at this lovely house our builder built for us' or 'here's how to do simple DIY jobs'. From the times that I have been fortunate enough to see a copy of Fine Homebuilding it seems to have a lot of relevant detail at a fairly advance level. But, is unfortunately, to USAian orientated to be relevant over here.

Reply to
Andrew May

bin?&lookup=auto&V27=&V28=&V29=&V30=&V31=&V32=&V33=&V34=&V35=&V55=&V56=&Taun_Per_Flag=True&utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_term=tools&utm_content=20120402-

That gunk is amazing stuff, you just use the magic crayon (supplied) and write on the tin what you want it to do.

Reply to
brass monkey

OK - hehe then...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And using American arithmetic he managed to stretch a 4 ft plank 20% to

5ft.
Reply to
Mike Clarke

Indeed! [He'd only need to shrink it by 20% though to get back to 4 ft ]

Reply to
Roger Mills

bin?&lookup=auto&V27=&V28=&V29=&V30=&V31=&V32=&V33=&V34=&V35=&V55=&V56=&Taun_Per_Flag=True&utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_term=tools&utm_content=20120402-

Oh, and you might like to look up "getting wood" or "getting a woody" in an American slang dictionary ;-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts