how to edge concrete?

I am making a new concrete path around the house.

Concrete edges are at risk of breaking off if they are too sharp, so I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what I should do to round the edge.

Concrete edging tools are sold on the web, taking the form of a float with one edge curving down into a strip perpendicular to the main surface, but I haven't found anything sold in Britain under that name. The sheds sell tools for making internal and external edges, but they seem to be tools for making right angles, not curves.

So how do people 'edge' concrete in Britain? Is there something clever that can be done with a float that I'm missing? Or do people lay bits of 1-by-1 inside the formwork, or what?

Thanks for any help with this!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

this?

JonT

JonT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Thanks! Just what I need!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 09:09 Harry Davis wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Bit of half round gutter, used as a float for the corners?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Any Builders Merchant sell these "Edging Trowels"

In fact B&Q also sell them.

Lay the concrete, tamp & level, then once at first set stage (wet sheen gone off surface) run the edging trowel down the side, holding leading edge a bit higher ... so pressure is on 2nd half of float.

Usually have to do 2-3 runs, but work fine.

Reply to
Rick Hughes