How to drive a mini digger?

I'm hiring a mini digger next week to do some simple groundwork in my garden. (levelling, digging round small trees/big shrubs, plus footings for an outbuilding) Before it arrives I'd like to read up on basically how to drive such a beast. I'd sure the hire people will show me what to do when it arrives but I'd rather not look a complete idiot by doing a little preparation.

Any pointers to online resources greatly appreciated.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin wrote: [snip]

I'm sure that you won't, lets face it..its something you don't do every day. And hands on experience is no substitute for theory.

Reply to
ben

Most of the modern ones will have "common knowledge" controls, all diggers of any size are about the same.

Generally there will be two hand controls and two foot controls, often these foot controls will have extensions for hand use.

The left hand control works in two axes, left-right axis is the slew, forward-back axis is boom up-down. Similar on rhs is for jib and bucket crowd. The two foot controls are for track direction.

There may be a front mounted blade and/or an function to offset the digger for working up against obstructions, these are normally hand operated to the rhs (IIRC).

Engine is likely key start and stop, with an inhibit often fitted to the left arm rest that raises to get in and out.

Frustrating to learn as you get older but you just have to put the hours in. Make sure others observe your riskzone.

Its best not to drive over obstructions if you can level them first. If you are using it on steep ground there should be a seat belt and reversing uphill and slewing is the easiest way to throw a track.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

ben

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When they drop it off they will show you what the most important levers do.

Try and get them to park it somewhere that you can't hit anything (ie no buildings within reach of the arm) while you get used to how it works. Also keep any onlookers out of the danger zone.

After 5 minutes instruction from the hire company I was demolishing a WWII air raid shelter and have since dug out foundations for a large house extension. They're great fun to use!

Reply to
shaun

Bet this is the sort of thing a teenager would adapt to with no problems especially if he's been playing computer games for a while;)).....

Reply to
tony sayer

Bob

What is the max width of these things. The access to my garden is through a

34 inch door.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Although that could easily be widened :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Spend a happy afternoon at Diggerland.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

lol. Especially with me driving a JCB

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Hi Bobby, This is the one I've ordered

claims 705mm wide which is under 28 inches. This is with the tracks retracted especially to get though narrow openings. So it should do for your application.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks, mate. I did not know the tracks retracted. Actually, I have just found a couple on the net showing the width.

After we have finished our refurb (if it will ever finish) we intend to dig out a sloping garden bank, dig a trench for foundation, build a brick, retaining wall. Plus a trench for a lighting cable from garage to wall lights. (stuff P regs). Need to get the mini digger through the garage side door (without knocking down the garage wall).

Good luck with your mini dig.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Depends on the class of digger.

The smallest 750kg ones can be driven through a normal door. Typically approx 70cm wide. They are ok, but tend to be a bit jerky and don't shift much more soil than a fit man with a shovel.

The next size up is the 1.5 tonne class. This is typically 1m wide. The hire shops seem to keep less of this size on hand so they are not always easy to get. My first experience driving a mini digger was with one of these, and the first task was to drive it through a 1.05m wide gate! These are much more like the real thing - if you get a good one they are quite smooth and have good finesse to the controls.

Next size up is a 3 tonne - although you could argue that is not really a mini digger any more. IIRC these were up to 1.6m wide.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll bet - for years I've been wanting an excuse to hire one, but never managed to come up with a good enough reason!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for the info, John. I am not fit and a mini digger seems to be more fun.

Later this year or early next year I intend to hire one to remove half a sloping bank in order to build a retaining wall. If I hire the digger for a day and return it, build the wall over a few weekends, I will then have to shovel the soil back to make a level finish. So maybe I will need to get fit.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

What are the sort of daily/weekly rates to hire one of these?

Regards

Reply to
Nobody

I do not know as I have yet to enquire. I have done a web search and reckon that:

Daily - £50 - £80; Weekly - double the price.

Have a look at this:

while you are at it, have a look at this:

Bobby Bewl

Perhaps I ought to add however that the digger will have far more endurance! So it may only dig a spade full at a time, but it will keep doing it until the job is done.

(to give you a clue to the available capability, I found that the 1.5 tonne digger could just about lift and move a full dumpy bag of gravel or sand)

Putting it back ought not to be so hard since it won't be compacted any more.

Reply to
John Rumm

You are dead right that the digger will have far more endurance. I am well out of condition and staying power to finish a big job.

Oh, that is nothing, John. I do that on the way home from the pub. ;-)

Exactly! And it saves another £80.

If I were to use the digger, again, I am sure I would knock down the brick wall that I had just built.

Thanks, for the vote of confidence, John, which is going to be brought to the attention of my wife.

and cheers to you, mate.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl