how to drill a 12cm diameter hole in steel?

A 120mm Q-Max? Think you'd find it would cost...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you'd need an unobtainium Allen key with Arnie Schwarzenegger on the end of it to use it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's a spanner operation, but still hard work. There's a (very expensive) hydraulic jack available for the larger Q-Max cutters.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I've never seen a Q-Max that big, though. Do they exist?

Oh, hydraulic punches of course exist. I'd guess something like that makes the holes in production. But a Q-Max to me is screw operated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RS 600-082 is 116mm for fans, at only £131-51 each.

RS 605-223 is the matching hydraulic pump kit, at a bargain price of only £417-75.

I've used them to retrofit 118mm fans into steel cabinet doors.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Ther are various ways to make big holes in steel sheet.

One off - drill holes and use file.

Several off, get big Q-max punch or see if someone near has an old set of flypresses and tools.

Production. CNC punch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

never thought of a treppaning tool low tech but works well

Lenny Brown

Those things are dangerous, unless you are using a pillar drill (drill press) or similar with the job securely clamped or bolted down.

I've seen two accidents using those things, the first a few years ago, was someone with a sheet of metal (that wasn't clamped down properly) spun and sliced the top off his finger. The second was about three weeks ago a guy at the place I was working was using a pistol drill, the fly cutter (trepanning tool) snagged, the drill spun round and broke his thumb.

Reply to
Kaiser

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

Ye gods. I remember those - still got them somewhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Quite dangerous, more or less guaranteed to snag especially on aluminium. We always run with the belts on the pillar drill not too tight. In that way when it snags the belts slip, rather than the trepanning tool spinning in the chuck (OR, worse still, breaking the taper of the chuck).

Reply to
Tony Williams