How to "dish" wood

I want to put a small dish / concave indentation in a piece of wood, for the ball of a bales catch. What's the neatest way of doing this? The wood is a door frame and is fixed in position already.

Reply to
Scion

fred put finger to keyboard:

I have a receiver, and yes, I could drill a shallow hole. But I'd look up at it every time I went past, thinking "That could look better!"

FWIW it's actually a pair of doors between two rooms that are normally open, so it's more important it looks OK than, say, an airing cupboard door.

Reply to
Scion

Either a carving gauge, or the nose of a small belt saner / power file? Possibly an abbrasive ball or burr on a die grinder (dremel) type machine)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

Carving gouge is what I need, thanks John.

As ever, it's the terminology that eluded me.

Reply to
Scion

Don't you have a receiver for the catch. Just drill a shallow hole. The receiver will cover it, no?

Reply to
fred

and the spelling me ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

buy a suitable burr for an electric drill

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still say a burr is easier

The Natural Philosopher

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

Google knew what you meant.

Reply to
Scion

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

Just give it a good thwack with a ballpein hammer!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In article , Muddymike writes

And miss . . . .

by all means place a ballpein in the desired spot and thwack it with a bigger hammer.

Reply to
fred

Muddymike put finger to keyboard:

I did consider the percussive method. Quick, cheap and easy. Too much potential for damage though.

Reply to
Scion

Given aesthetics is obviously important to you might it be an issue you hav ing an 'unprotected' indentation, the edge of which may (will?) get worn by the ball? I always assumed that was part of the purpose of the receiver i. e. to act as a resilient surface for the the catch to rub against...

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Mathew Newton put finger to keyboard:

I'm still going to use a receiver, but it needs an indentation for the ball to spring into.

Reply to
Scion

Surely if you're using the right type of receiver anyway, you can't see the hole? Mine are split about 50/50 here.

Reply to
John Williamson

Ah, I see. The only ball catch we've got here has a receiver that is effect ively a solid plate with an indentation i.e. it covers up the hole made in the wood behind it. Presumably your receiver has a hole in the centre hence the hole in the wood will be visible?

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ball-ended router bit?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mathew Newton put finger to keyboard:

Yup. Most of 'em seem to be like that. The roller type catches tend to have the solid receiver, the ball ones hollow.

Reply to
Scion

The neatest way would be to put the wood in a lathe. Yes I do have a lathe big enough!

Matty F