How to Disable Gas Fire Thermostatic Control

Hi, I have a Focal Point Centurion Flueless gas fire. The thermostatic control is a complete pain because:

  1. It's nice to have the flames down low, to provide a focal point in my living room, but the main burner keeps shutting itself off as soon as the room is warm enough - leaving a dark fireplace.

  1. Forgetting that the fire is actually on and that the main burner is only off because of the thermostat, I have gone to bed several times forgetting to turn the gas tap off; only to come into a very warm room the next morning, since the fire has been turning itself on and off all night.

I asked Focal Point Fires if there is a way to disable the thermostat, but they said no - but they would say that, wouldn't they.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Murdo MacKenzie

Reply to
Murdo MacKenzie

It isn't really a safe procedure to do Sir, as it changes the characteristics of how the fire does its job. Also, if the thermostat is a mechanical type, which it most likely is, it needs to be totally removed from the equation if you want to by-pass it. This means that you need to tamper with the main burner unit and control knobs which is never a clever idea.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the reply - looks like I need to think more carefully the next time I buy a gas fire. Everything else about the fire is terrific - very efficient, and easy to install because no flue is required - but the thermostat bit really bugs me.

Thanks again.

Murdo

characteristics of how

Reply to
Murdo MacKenzie

Turn it up very high? (Assuming there is some other control).

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Modifying the controls on any gas appliance is definitely contrary to the law. 8-(

Reply to
Ed Sirett