How to destroy your DeWalt DW566 SDS drill - 6 easy steps

No, you're totally right - for something like that they are perfect. I am the same with angle grinders. I use my good ones for metal work, and buy disposables for stone work (which I don't do often, and wrecks them in no time).

Reply to
Grunff

It seems very time consuming though....

Possibly, but you do get to wear the check shirt and all the other stuff.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Suspenders and a bra?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Each to his own....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just like my dear mama.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually, that should have been papa...

Christian McArdle

You can get those rewound at speialistt places. Try yellow pages

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or the opposite 'surely it can't be a three day job to put up a curtain pole'?

Well dear, after I have hacked the plasterboard out, tacked a batten in to that end, replaced the plasterboard, skimmed it, sanded it, and applied two coats of emulsion, that's the two days, and then we have to go into town to get a hacksaw to cut the other end to the correct size, find that I just knocked a brick out drilling that, which as to be glued back in place with car body filler, since we threw all that nasty old cement and sand out that was littering the garage floor didn't we dear.."

Or the previous 'partner' who insisted she wouldn't stay in a house where the toilet had to be flushed with a bit of bent coat hanger, (the bearing surface of the cistern having seized and worn away to preclude fitting a new flush mechanism) and who presented me with a 15 quid cistern one fine saturday morning with the smug air of someone who has done 99% of the job.,...and the ensuing weekend where I removed the old cistern, found the new one wouldn't fit, without drilling lots of holes on the wall for outfall, managed to end up knocking half a dozen bricks out of the wall being a shoddy jerry built extension, cemeted those back in, replastered the wall, repainted the whole bathroom because I couldn't match the paint, and, about two weeks later, I had done the other 1%....

Or contrast the occasion when I nailed through a water pipe. SWMBO thought it a great disaster. I just swore, ripped the plasterboard off AGAIN, nipped out and bough a pair of sliding couplers, soldered em back on and tacked the plasterboard back in place, missing the pipe this time. About an hour all told, and no need to plaster since I was tiling anyway...

No. I have a strict policy of NOT doing 5 minute jobs, because all of them have been done. The next job is a 5 week one, minimum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:52:53 +0100, The Natural Philosopher strung together this:

That's a bit of an IMM post, two complete replies enclosed for a one liner!

Reply to
Lurch

It its a permanent magnet motor the magnets may go with the heat as well, but if its got field coils, its unlikely, I agree.

If you EVER notice loss of power on a leccy motor, its wisest to get the load off it but leave it switched in.

I have a blender mixer that stank and stopped working. After cooling it worked again, and has continued to do so for 5 years more...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's got field coils.

:-) I KNOW! But by the time I noticed, it was far, far gone. Now just about spins.

Reply to
Grunff

I can't imagine a mains drill having a permanent magnet motor, somehow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was taking in the generality of all drills including cordless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Next year's big thing will be d.c. motors using microprocessor controlled field coils, whether mains or battery driver. Vacuum cleaners and Dremel type things first but most other things following soon after as efficiencies are so much better.

Apparently the metals used in permanent magnets are getting far too expensive so field coils have become the cheapest approach anyway.

Expect to see a lot of features like soft start, electronic torque control and braking. Not sure if any of this will be of use of course but when did that ever stop things :-)

Reply to
G&M