How to destroy your DeWalt DW566 SDS drill - 6 easy steps

I'd have said it's no big deal to set up a spares service for a device still in production. Can be pretty profitable too if that device is heavily used.

With B&Q, most of their tools just come out of a cupboard occasionally - making a spares service much less profitable - and add to that the fact that the actual maker will either change, or change design with monotonous regularity, often to rectify design faults and introduce others... DeWalt tent to keep the same tools in production for a very long time - as they should if properly designed in the first place.

Not sure when the basic design for the 566 first saw the light of day, but it's several years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I completely agree. They are a volume distribution organisation. However, I do think that along with their warranty statement, they should include a note to the effect that spares and service are not available.

For example, the other day I was in the tool area buying some jigsaw blades and there was an assistant helping somebody with buying a router. He was asking about why the Bosch one was more expensive than the PPPoo one and was told that "it was because of the name".

I suppose caveat emptor applies, but it is misleading that they don't give the complete story when they tout their two and three year warranties. People have the impression that a long warranty implies quality, which in the case of some products is true - the manufacturer can do the sums and because of reliability is not going to incur great cost. However, in this case it is playing the numbers game on return rates which are probably passed back to the manufacturer or allowed in their deal with B&Q.

yes they are, and routers.

I've found them pretty good on spares. I have one of their mitre saw stands that I bought in the U.S. a couple of years ago. They now sell it here and it's pretty good. I wanted some additional brackets that are fitted to the saw because the stand can be used for all sorts of things - I have attached them to little tables, sanders and so on. Spares were £12 a pair which I thought was very good.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I had a drill bit for every time I've heard a B&Q employee say that...

Hmmm. Makes the DeWalt/Makita decision much harder, and sadly leaves Bosch looking less favourable. My one complaint about Bosch tools is parts prices.

Reply to
Grunff

Maybe they get a bonus in the tools department for sales volume, or the marketing manager comes round and buys them lunch periodically.

Mmm. They do seem to be a bit more than DW and Makita, but last time I needed some bits (a switch IIRC) it wasn't that much.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm a great fan of Makita tools generally but the one area where the DeWalt is much better is in the power cable. On my Makita planer and router the cable is just ordinary stuff and not really long enough but my DeWalt SDS has a decent length of really thick flexible cable.

Nikc Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

On perhaps most of my tools I've fitted a longer flex. Using TRS cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely not on the 566? I've never seen such a long, thick mains flex on any other tool.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes I agree. Does anyone know where I can get cable like this?

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Sure, part number 234-118

Reply to
Grunff

But thats solid core which I wouldn't expect in a flexible cable

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Erm, scratch that - this is solid cored. Try 369-4967.

Reply to
Grunff

Thats more like it Thanks

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

The magick Euro-designation you want for power-tool cable bliss (and extension cord utopia) is H07RN-F: one distributor's peaon to its qualities is to be found at

lengths are often sold at aquairia/pond shops as "pond pump cable"; whole reels through electrical trade counters (some will order it in as a Special). It's a Damn Fine Mains Cable for workshop and outdoor use.

And if you end up with some left over, fit a gold-plated 13A plug on each

2m length and sell it for 200 quid as an Audiophile Super-Transparent Direct Mains Coupling Device.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Absolutely. That's why I said most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've always known it as TRS. IIRC, TLC stock it, but simply call it rubber flex. Pricey stuff, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The H2450 drill I have is great - about 3m of heavy flexible rubber flex, on the other hand, the only thing that lets my otherwise awesome Makita 4340 jigsaw down is the 6' of very ordinary PVC clad cable. So I guess it depends on the tool rather than just the brand.

Reply to
John Rumm

£25 of course. Same as the whole drill.
Reply to
G&M

But do you really need a good tool to knock a wall down ? I prefer to keep my DeWalt in good nick for creative work whilst knocking the shit out of a cheap one when necessary.

Indeed they are. My first Bosch was a revelation after owning B&D and PPPro ones. But I still (ab)use the old one for cutting up firewood.

Reply to
G&M

That must take a while. Sounds like a good reason to buy a chain saw. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Inherited lots of old doors (1960s scrap - no heritage value whatsoever) and suchlike when we bought this place and after ruining a perfectly good circular saw cutting them up for firewood the crappy PPPro jigsaw sort of took over.

Got one of them but the running costs when cutting up doors and so forth are probably higher than the energy generated from the firewood.

Reply to
G&M