How to deal with this woodworm?

There are signs of woodworm in our washroom annex which was built about 20 years ago.

I saw some sawdust but only below the rotten bits (in the picture) where the paint had come off. I wonder if woodworm was there where when it was painted, because the paint has sunk into some holes?

closeup 1

closeup 2
under radiator
general view

If a joiner replaces the bad wood then would he disturb any existing woodworm making them go off to live in another piece of wood in the house?

Is it worth me spraying the skirting board with an aerosol before he arrives to remove it?

Rentokil PSW85 Woodworm Treatment Spray 300ml

pamela

They've been encouraged by the damp conditions in there evidenced by the skirting being rotten and the rust on the bottom of the radiator. Looks like a tile floor that you possibly wet mop out? I'd give serious consideration to replacing the skirting with a UPVC one (or preferably a tile upstand) which will solve both problems.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

+1 to all that. I'd also spray or paint with woodworm killer the new piece of skirting on the back and lower edge, if it's not already been treated. If it's painted on the front, that'll be sufficient to stop grubs penetrating from that side. Don't leave the old piece of skirting lying around; either burn it straight away or put it in the dustbin or even break it into suitably sized lengths and put it in the freezer for a couple of days to kill any remaining grubs, if there are any. I imagine the old skirting will just crumble like powder when it's removed.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Over the years there's been a lot of damp in that room from different sources. I'll suggest UPVC.

Reply to
pamela

Thanks for the useful comments.

Reply to
pamela

So here is the thing, if you can treat wood with something why is it not available as an additive for paint?

My neighbour when they moved in had to hav several downstairs floor joists and floorboards replaced due to woodworm, yet mine next door had no such issues. Kind of makes you wonder why they go for some places and how they get there in the first place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do woodworm eat mdf?

Reply to